Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Movies - My Favorite or Tv Shows or anything not related to economy or COVID Lets have fun stuff

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Old-RV'er

RVF Expert
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 3407
RV Length
34'10"
TOW/TOAD
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Fulltimer
No
Ok Life is more than RV problems, social unrest or other negative things. So starting something that might be fun. As stated by one post, Hollywood has forgotten good quality entertainment for the most part. I like Sci-Fi Movies, so I watch the Ant Man, and Hulk, and the like. But I have favorites which go back to when "talkies" first were introduced. I will list a few with some trivia as I know it. As a freebe, I like Al Jolson as a singer, and the Movie made about him and the picture which was the first talkie made here "The Jazz Singer" is a good one too. Al could belt them out, and he only had one lung.

1. Dracula - Bela Lugosi - Was from Hungry (now Austria Hungry) - Immigrated to the US. When he was in a movie people knew they were going to be scared, great entertainer. Sadly, he was a horrible alcoholic, and believe drugs too, and he died penniless. "At the time of his death, (heart attack) Lugosi was in such poor financial straits that Frank Sinatra was rumored to have paid for his funeral. Actually, Bela's widow Hope and ex-wife Lillian paid it; Sinatra's only connection to the aging actor was sending him a $1000 check during his drug rehabilitation. The rumor that Boris Karloff attended the funeral was also an urban myth, as he wasn't in California at the time.," - IMDB.com The full Bio is here: Bela Lugosi - IMDb

2. The other end of the Spectrum - Jonathan Winters - Comedian - Believe he was the funniest stand up of all time. Remember once on Johnny Carson Show, he was given a "handkerchief or a hat" and for about 10 minutes, he used that prop in like 15 short comedic roles. I don't know if He and Red Skelton ever teamed up for a skit, not sure I would have ever stopped laughing. He checked himself into a mental institution to be evaluated to make sure he was ok. Robin Williams and he were friends, and Williams said he was inspired by him. There is a skit of them both I think on YouTube.

3. Singing in the Rain - Gene Kelly - Debbie Reynolds-Donald O'Connor - When people say Gene Kelly, either this movie or An American in Paris. Movie was shot in Technicolor and very bright and lavish costumes were used to highlight that feature. It's just all around good fun movie.

And since I love movies, I most likely have at least 1000 of them on DVD or on my PC. There are good ones and bad ones and ones I watched once and are still scared from. I remember "Invasion of the body Snatchers" made in the 50's, (not the remake) and I am still scared by that one. My friends went to see Alien, told me about it, but I chose to never watch it, mostly gore which I did not need to see. One other one scared me worse, and I refused to ever watch it again or it's sequels. The Exorcist, in fact, I could not ever watch Linda Blair in another move since.

Mostly for TV I check weather, wont watch sports period, and the news is depressing. Current Sitcoms are a waste of space/time, cannot remember any TV show in the last few years I liked enough to stay with it. I did watch the TV Movie Special Dracula, it was interesting, the lady who played VanHelsing was captivating. Ken Burns specials are also very entertaining, the one on "The Dust Bowl" well you got to see it. The BBC documentaries are also usually very well done. We have "The Planet Earth" on DVD.

Ok now all you chime in. Life is more than bad times, it's fun times too. Not counting I got to go cut trees tomorrow because it's finally drying out some.

Not PC, but one of my favorite movies is Blazing Saddles.

Airplane, Naked Gun, Police Academy.

For non comedy, The God Father, Star Trek, Star Wars (4,5,6)

Most Disney movies directed or produced by Walt, Richard Rich, and Ron Miller.

We are watching second time around Still Game series on Netflix. It is about group of retirees in Glasgow Scotland.
Very funny and something we can relate to. I turn on the subtitles to keep up with the Scottish accent

Interesting I will check out the Scottish TV one, as spent almost 4 years there in USN. Weather will just about kill you. Let me say, we are born with bugs which our location deals with. The bugs in other parts of the world, we don't have a clue on. I was sick in the winter at least once a month, I never ever get sore throat, I got one so bad there, they almost sent me to hospital, go figure. Was not strep, nor a disease, but some viral thing, never had fever. Oh, man that was horrible for about 8 days. Assume you are talking about this show.

Interesting I will check out the Scottish TV one, as spent almost 4 years there in USN. Weather will just about kill you. Let me say, we are born with bugs which our location deals with. The bugs in other parts of the world, we don't have a clue on. I was sick in the winter at least once a month, I never ever get sore throat, I got one so bad there, they almost sent me to hospital, go figure. Was not strep, nor a disease, but some viral thing, never had fever. Oh, man that was horrible for about 8 days. Assume you are talking about this show.

That’s the one?

Great, downloaded the first 3 episodes, will check them out tonight. Got to go cut trees, the fog has finally gone.

Dooley Wilson was a black actor in the 40's and later. What movie was he famous for?

Wow, interesting about the bug. I went to Jamaica for a week, when I was in my 20s, and developed some sort of mild bacterial infection in my ‘system’...antibiotics got rid of it....Can’t imagine how older people manage to travel all over the world and deal with strange bugs, But I know they do it.

If you believe the "blood type" info about COVID today, C types have the highest resistance with type A the least. My friends in Scotland service with me did not seem to get as sick as often, not sure, have been mostly healthy entire life, but their, wow, it was hard. The winter was worse.

Latest resources

Back