Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Must visit places in the Western US this Covid busy year.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Hillman

RVF Regular
So, we just purchased our Class A RV. We did this because we want to take two months and go visit many of the national parks in the south western and north western US this summer. I know that everyone else in the entire country has the same idea and camp sites as well as parks are just going to be packed this year to the point of frustration, probably. Knowing this, what are the places we should absolutely visit this year? We have a 10 year old boy and a dog, so those are considerations. We will have a tow vehicle to get around.

We have, I think, ruled out the Grand Canyon, due to already full campgrounds on the southern rim and the northern rim, the Native American tribes have been really hit hard by Covid and out of respect, we don't want to put any extra stress in that area. But some of the places we are planning on are Zion, Arches in UT, Yosemite, Redwood, Glacier, Yellowstone, and a few other places. But, we realize, that's ambitious and we need to trim some things so we have a more enjoyable time. What is a MUST see? What is likely to not be enjoyable due to the crowds? I realize the irony as we are this year jumping in on the bandwagon, but we have been waiting for the opportunity to do this for years and are only now financially able to do this. Thanks.

If your going to Yellowstone then do not leave out the Grand Tetons. It's the smaller sister park to Yellowstone and a grand site it is.
Odds are you may still get a camp site at Colter Bay in the Tetons if you call now and book now. You have to call. The web site is never up to date.
You may have to work with them to accommodate your stay. A few days in the campground with water power only and a few days in the full hook up sites. If you boondock they do have a dump station also. If they can work you in they will. Flag Ranch is a full hook up site and you can ask about that one also. It is much closer to Yellowstone . I'd try and book now though.

Last edited:
You will likely visit Kanab UT. The ranger station south of town used to have a poster of a feature called the wave. Only available via a lottery. This means small numbers get in at a time. Really a must photograph. I would look it up online and see if you are interested.

So, we just purchased our Class A RV. We did this because we want to take two months and go visit many of the national parks in the south western and north western US this summer. I know that everyone else in the entire country has the same idea and camp sites as well as parks are just going to be packed this year to the point of frustration, probably. Knowing this, what are the places we should absolutely visit this year? We have a 10 year old boy and a dog, so those are considerations. We will have a tow vehicle to get around.

We have, I think, ruled out the Grand Canyon, due to already full campgrounds on the southern rim and the northern rim, the Native American tribes have been really hit hard by Covid and out of respect, we don't want to put any extra stress in that area. But some of the places we are planning on are Zion, Arches in UT, Yosemite, Redwood, Glacier, Yellowstone, and a few other places. But, we realize, that's ambitious and we need to trim some things so we have a more enjoyable time. What is a MUST see? What is likely to not be enjoyable due to the crowds? I realize the irony as we are this year jumping in on the bandwagon, but we have been waiting for the opportunity to do this for years and are only now financially able to do this. Thanks.
I just reserved 3 spots at South Rim Grand Canyon for labor day weekend. All of ours were under 30 ft. but they appeared to have some 50 available. Not sure when you are traveling but you might give it a try.

If your going to Yellowstone then do not leave out the Grand Tetons. It's the smaller sister park to Yellowstone and a grand site it is.
Odds are you may still get a camp site at Colter Bay in the Tetons if you call now and book now. You have to call. The web site is never up to date.
You may have to work with them to accommodate your stay. A few days in the campground with water power only and a few days in the full hook up sites. If you boondock they do have a dump station also. If they can work you in they will. Flag Ranch is a full hook up site and you can ask about that one also. It is much closer to Yellowstone . I'd try and book now though.
I second the suggestion for Grand Teton

Latest resources

Back