• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Need Help with Dometic Refrigerator Not Switching from AC to LP

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
You absolutely must replace that fusible link, it is a safety feature for flame coming out of the burn chamber. If you follow the wire over to the chimney, it will go to a thermal disc that also trips on high temp. you might have blown that also. It should be closed when cold, so use a multimeter set on ohms. Or a continuity tester. The next step back is the power supply block. I am or would be surprised that 12vdc would have been an option to run the compressor. 12 vdc is the control voltage for all the functions.

Just wanted to provide an update for anyone else coming along with the same problem. I believe I've got it fixed now. The electrode was not holding still and could easily rotate down to contact the burner, so I replaced that. I also removed the wire and inline slow-burn fuse that I'd previously used to replace the burned up fusible link, and installed a new fusible link. That was yesterday, and when I tried to light it up I got the same familiar fault light on the eyebrow board with no attempt to spark the new electrode.

Today I noticed that the electrode's wire (which has not been replaced) was resting up against the flue, and I wondered if it could be shorting out against it, which would prevent the igniter from initiating a spark. I also noticed that the blade connectors at each end of the wire were somewhat loose. So I very carefully tightened those up with a pair of needle-nose pliers. When I reconnected it I routed it in such a way that it was not near any grounded metal parts. That did the trick. I turned the switch on and it fired right up. I let it burn for about 20 minutes and then shut it down. Later I tried it again and it worked fine. So it's looking like this problem is headed for the history books, finally. I will test it a few more times over the coming weeks and then give it a real test on a trip I have planned in April.

Thanks to everyone who responded, and special thanks to TheLooks, for providing me with that link to Dave's Place. That helped me so much in understanding exactly how these things work.

The ignition wire is one of the trickiest ones to find. You can't see the spark in the chamber and you can still hear it ticking. Congrats on solving the problem.

Latest resources

Back