• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Need some help to understand . . .

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
It appears I'm one of the few that see's a problem with current events. Or at least, one of the few that cares to talk about it. Probably be best if I limit my posts to RV issues in the future.
@Jim, you are not "one of the few that see a problem with current events." Many of us are similarly concerned, though we may not all see things in the same way. The difficulty is in trying to figure out a sound, workable solution in a chaotic environment.

Sadly, the issues are clouded by political perspectives and deeply held beliefs (some valid, some not) that are spreading like wildfire via social media. With the current unsettled political landscape, it seems to me that there is little willingness for people to come together and be Americans first in order to deal with difficult issues.

None of us are ALWAYS right or ALWAYS wrong. We seem to have forgotten that and now see things through our politically colored glasses with no willingness to even consider that WE could be wrong. In the meantime, the collective result is bedlam, literally and figuratively!

The cartoon character, Pogo, was right years ago when he said; "We have met the enemy and they is us!"

All of this, of course, IMO.

TJ

Jim, can you spell ANTIFA? Look at all the ANTIFA banners and flags amid the protestors. Then we can go down through the theories about the "Squad" in congress all pushing for the New Green Deal - dig into that and you find all the defund policing stuff and how AOC was meeting with the ANTIFA group leaders to help them. And then Omar from MN that is part of the squad and working discontent through the back channels of her Somali connections to encourage the New Green Deal.
You're not imagining things, its a revolution, a well planned and funded revolution that has the leaders baffled - the leaders are actually giving them police stations? REALLY? Look at the increase in gun violence in NYC since the mayor defunded some of the NYPD.
So you're right, something is a brewing and we should be afraid of the nation that we will have if these politicians don't wake up.
Sorry for the rant....

We all see the world from our seat in the house. It’s human nature. And it’s this. Confirmation Bias.

Confirmation bias, the tendency to process information by looking for, or interpreting, information that is consistent with one’s existing beliefs. This biased approach to decision making is largely unintentional and often results in ignoring inconsistent information. Existing beliefs can include one’s expectations in a given situation and predictions about a particular outcome. People are especially likely to process information to support their own beliefs when the issue is highly important or self-relevant.

I invite everyone to examine both sides of a topic...

We all see the world from our seat in the house. It’s human nature. And it’s this. Confirmation Bias.

Confirmation bias, the tendency to process information by looking for, or interpreting, information that is consistent with one’s existing beliefs. This biased approach to decision making is largely unintentional and often results in ignoring inconsistent information. Existing beliefs can include one’s expectations in a given situation and predictions about a particular outcome. People are especially likely to process information to support their own beliefs when the issue is highly important or self-relevant.

I invite everyone to examine both sides of a topic...
Let me be the first to step forward and admit to allowing this to happen on occasion. Lately, I have been making a concerted effort to "examine all sides of a topic" while removing my bias glasses as much as possible. It isn't easy sometimes, but certainly can be revealing!

In fact, I had resorted to using the "Ignore" button on a poster with whom I had consistently disagreed. Recently, I removed the "Ignore" and vowed to try and evaluate the substance of the comments without making any judgements. It has been an illuminating experience even though I don't think it has changed many of my fundamental beliefs. What it has done is to cause me to be unfiltered in my research and look for common ground.

Thanks for the reminder, @Akdare.

TJ

Last edited:
Well, OK then.

First time I’ve been back to this thread since I made that last post. I meant to say that part about keeping things RV related, but that isn’t how I meant to say it. Well, I mean I meant to say it, but I didn’t mean to sound like a whinny little biT*ch while doing it.

Rats, it’s not getting any better is it?

I think what I meant to say is that things are way to complicated out there these days and a thread of this nature probably should not be on an RV forum. And as such, I will try to keep my posts RV related.

Is that better? ?

lol, thanks all for the responses.

@Jim - are you putting in an outdoor brick pizza oven in your new CG by any chance? Asking for @MapNerd and @ARD.
That sounds like a GREAT idea!

You wouldn’t say that if you knew what @Neal was going to use it for. Just make sure to put a firepit beside so that we have a place to put his “creations”
Come on MN, you can't start something like that and not tell us the rest of the story. :)

You’ve been away too long. Let’s just say that @Neal prefers a certain tropical topping on his pies and he’s been taking a bit of a ribbing for it...mostly from me but the usual suspects backed me up as well

There is no problem with what you want to discuss. I welcome it so that the peers here can support anyone that is struggling with anything such as current events. We are a RV family and this is what RVF is to be about. Heck, I may even have to change the tagline of the logo now, I like it!

Anyways, personally for my mental health I have to avoid the things I know don't make me feel good. This is something I've gotten so much better about in my later years. I'd let things eat me up earlier. I have some pretty good RVer therapists around here! :) I know on the "other" forum how toxic the discussions were. I have not felt any toxicity here and part of that is keeping posts uplifting and sticking to that theme. After posting on the other forum I felt sick to my stomach at times, it was not healthy. In the current events I limit what I post on social media such as Facebook. I realize what's out of my control and it's also helped me focus on more things that I enjoy and making the most I can each day of my life I've been given the opportunity to live and I continually improve on how to make that better. In the past I used to have discussions with friends that we'd ask ourselves on a scale of 1 to 10 how are you living your life? My number still needs to move further right on the scale and I'm still figuring that out.

So long story longer, do what is needed for your mental well being. Post what you want to discuss and have no remorse about it. All topics are fine within the minimal rules. Let's all try to help each other live better lives and continue making great RVer friendships here and I can't wait for all of us to meet and enjoy complimentary (Hawaiian) pineapple pizza supplied by @MapNerd and @ARD. They are so generous! They'tha'best!

bpaikman
RVF Supporter
JoinedJun 25, 2020Messages36
4 minutes ago
Thank you for those comments - it helped me consolidate random thoughts and impressions I’ve had myself.

@Jim - are you putting in an outdoor brick pizza oven in your new CG by any chance? Asking for @MapNerd and @ARD.
Looking at pizza ovens. Wood seem difficult to control temps. Electric (in my opining) seems like it would be slow to get up to operating temp, but what do I know? Gas seem like it would be the ticket, but what if the last person to use it leaves it on?

Latest resources

Back