Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star
RV Length
44'
TOW/TOAD
JL Wrangler
Good Morning,

I am fairly new to the RV world. In the last year, I have graduated from a 2020 Jayco 31F ( E450 Chassis ) to a Jayco Seneca, and I just put a deposit down on a 21 Ventana 43' Tag.

I am hopeful that some of you may be able to point me in the right direction. Lets start at the start. I have never even seen this coach in person. I do not know much about the platform. But I know that I am built on the Spartan Chassis, and it appears to be pretty well equipped. I live in Cincinnati Oh, and I own a transmission center. I am mechanical and a technician by trade. So I do not scare easily, but sometimes do require a slight learning curve when it comes to operation of new systems. I do plan to fly down and try to educate myself with the unit prior to pickup, but sometimes my schedule prohibits that ( plus I have a 16 month old who takes all my free Daddy time )

The plan is to drive to Ft Myers ( RV North Trail ) swap units and go enjoy it at Fort Wilderness for a couple days. Then head home.

I am googling and reading as much as I can. However, not turning up answers to alot of questions. The sales people are... sales people and not very technical. So I am hoping to get some help here. I also will plan to contribute as much as possible and will try to help others in any way I can.

My few main questions that I come up with off the top of my head.

Air supply line for the toad. I installed an Air Force One system in my Seneca. Will all the fittings be the same? I do not have a picture of the fitting on the coach, but the air line that I saw in a video looked large, and mine definitely uses a small little air line. I plan to pick up while towing my Wrangler. And while I feel it's not 100% necessary to have, I would feel better being able to have air pressure supplied on the maiden voyage.

My dealer did tell me there are seatbelts in the coach. Being I have a little, that is a big deal. I plan to have them actually touch them and confirm today, but does that sound right. There are belts in the "house" part of the coach.

The wet bay... This looks intimidating. In my current system. I try to keep things simple. I fill around 20 gallons of fresh for travel. Then I connect to city water when parked. In my current system I can select to just use city water to provide water to the coach. The Newmar system looks like auto fill and manual fill... Does this mean is uses the coach water pump and pulls from the 100 gallon fresh water tank no matter what? I guess I can understand making it "set and forget" but that makes me nervous. I would rather have control over all the systems.

Inverter... In the Seneca, if I want to run the fridge and microwave etc I need to turn the inverter on. That allows the engine alternator to power the house appliances. I need the generator for the AC units. Looking through the pictures of the Newmar, I do not see inverter controls... Is this too all automatic? I like to have control over things. Maybe I am missing something. Again, I plan to ask this, but sometimes the sales staff is less than knowledgeable. Figured one of the experts here may help the new guy out ;)

Operating systems. What do I need to know. I am a pretty smart guy, but damn if I don't sometimes get stumped by easy things. With a "typical" dealer tour, am I safe to think that I can just jump in this thing and use it?

Problems??? So the Seneca is a good rig. I actually like it alot. I read on the Jayco Owners Forum alot, and looked into the issues that people have. I, for the most part, went around and fixed anything I read about, before it actually would happen. Trying to make myself feel a little more confident about taking my family out on a house on wheels. My greatest fear is getting stuck somewhere. My little one is my reasoning. I am a touch protective and maybe worry too much.

So... In a nutshell, there it is. My first thread and my lack of searching properly will probably have me banned LOL... But hopefully some of you can help me out.

Thanks,

Mike

Welcome @svoshop to the forum and the Newmar family. Congratulations on your never seen new coach?.

First suggestion when picking up your coach at North Trails is to plan on staying at least 1 night. They will go over most systems and there is lots of info, by staying overnight you can have hands on time which will undoubtedly give you questions for the next day. Unfortunately you may even find something that needs fixed or attention.

Let me try and answer some of your specific questions

1. Air line, should not be a issue and North Trails should have fittings if needed. Sorry I can’t remember the technical type (NPT).

2. Seat belts, yes there are some and depending on floor plan location can vary. Generally only for the divan and theater seating.

3. Water system, easy to use and you do have control. You can hookup to city water and things operate like your house. You have the ability to fill the fresh water tank manually, or thru auto fill. In wet bay if set to auto fill position, you can fill tank from inside the coach. Probably over the drivers seat there will be controls for electrical system, tank levels, exterior lights etc. where you can auto fill the fresh water. Placing the valve in wet bay to manual fill water will be supplied to the fresh water tank from city water. Normal position for valve is auto fill but doesn’t add water to tank unless selected from inside coach.

4. Inverter, selection is in the same cabinet over driver’s seat. I believe your inverter is a Magnum 2812. Most of us leave inverter on. If you go to resources on the forum you will find a manual for the inverter and the Magnum ME-RC manual.

Again congrats on the new coach and ask all the questions you want.

Welcome @svoshop - congrats on an amazing coach, you're going to love it. @NWIP among many other very experienced Newmar owners are here to help you before, during and after your purchase. RVForums.com is the new home for Newmar Owners and we are excited to have you join us.

I suggest not rushing home after you get it but take time and enjoy your new motorhome. Plan a scenic trip back maybe through Shenandoah with so many great places to see between FL and OH. Unless work is calling you home on a minimal schedule, this is a great opportunity with some great places to see homeward bound.

Welcome @svoshop - congrats on an amazing coach, you're going to love it. @NWIP among many other very experienced Newmar owners are here to help you before, during and after your purchase. RVForums.com is the new home for Newmar Owners and we are excited to have you join us.

I suggest not rushing home after you get it but take time and enjoy your new motorhome. Plan a scenic trip back maybe through Shenandoah with so many great places to see between FL and OH. Unless work is calling you home on a minimal schedule, this is a great opportunity with some great places to see homeward bound.
Unfortunately, I was at Fort Wilderness last week ( where I was drawn in to the Tag Platform ) and that will prohibit me taking too much time off to pick up. The plan is to get the 28th and go back to the fort ( with the little :) ) for a couple of days. Then head home that weekend ( Saturday afternoon ). I appreciate the warm welcome.

We are excited for this next chapter.

Welcome, Congratulations on such a fine coach!
There is a wealth of knowledge in this Forum, & they will be glad to help answer your questions, & figure out any problems!
Above all, ENJOY and have fun!!

After my 1-2 hr orientation at the dealer, I turned around and realized everyone was gone and I proceeded to jump in a drive it home (with my father in law in the passenger seat). In a certain way, it was one of the most exciting times I can remember. I got it home without incident and figured it out, but not without the support of fantastic resources like RV Forums. I'm just sharing this so if you decide to head right to the campground, you'll be ok. Heck, PM one of us and we'll most likely be more than happy to share our cell #'s if you need a hand. (I guess that's an offer).

Enjoy your new coach, that's a fantastic choice!

After my 1-2 hr orientation at the dealer, I turned around and realized everyone was gone and I proceeded to jump in a drive it home (with my father in law in the passenger seat). In a certain way, it was one of the most exciting times I can remember. I got it home without incident and figured it out, but not without the support of fantastic resources like RV Forums. I'm just sharing this so if you decide to head right to the campground, you'll be ok. Heck, PM one of us and we'll most likely be more than happy to share our cell #'s if you need a hand. (I guess that's an offer).

Enjoy your new coach, that's a fantastic choice!
That is very generous of you... And I would gladly take you up on it. I own and run a transmission center in Cincinnati Ohio, so I am mechanical. Just always nervous about operation of new systems.

I had the sales girl send me pictures of the air fitting for the toad. It looks like a normal female end of an NPT airline. However, that is different than the line that came with my Air Force One system. I guess I need to take a look further at my current system and see if the there were adapters used to fit the line that was supplied to connect the toad to the coach. I would like to know I have the ability to control the brakes on the toad with the new coach on the maiden voyage.

Welcome svoshop! It seems like just yesterday that we took delivery of our new 2017 Ventana 4369 from North Trail and started the second leg of our full timing adventure.

My first suggestion would be to book your first night at Upriver RV Resort. Tell them you want a site in the new front part of their facility. It is only a couple exits north of where you will be picking up the coach.

Our Ventana was our first "all electric" coach and there was a learning curve. Without going into a ton of detail there are very few things you have to do to any of your RV systems when you leave a site and hit the road.

Safe travels and enjoy the ride.

So... a late change in plans... A local dealer was able to get me into a 2021 Dutch Star... And without speaking badly about any dealer... The deal is significantly more appealing. So, I will be close to home, and taking delivery in the next week!!! You guys have all been so amazing. I am thrilled to be part of a new group and on a great journey.

You will really like the Dutch Star not that you would of disliked the Ventana ?

Latest resources

Back