Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Kelby

RVF Regular
Hello, my business partner and I are building a new RV park! We are excited in this new adventure and are looking to set ourselves apart from other parks, maybe offer something different. We would like to hear from new and experienced RV owners on your likes and dislikes on the parks you’ve stayed at, what are some amenities you look for or something new you would like to see offered during your short or long term stays? Any information will be a huge help! Thank you for your participation!

Hi @Kelby. Welcome to the forums. Where are you looking to build your park?

Welcome. If you have continually clean, up to date bathrooms and level, non grass sites, with good wi-fi, and good working full hook ups, you will be ahead of most. If you are within 3-4 miles of a grocery, hardware store, and pharmacy, you are golden (for those without a toad). Sites with some shade is always good. A good stocked camp store and cable are also helpful. The trick is to offer these at an affordable price.

This advice may sound bad but the intention is good. An RV park is an extension of the owner. Your reason for building will not escape your customers view, and thus the reason people will return or stay away. If you want to know what people are looking for and how receptive people are to your ideas it may be time to look at this thread.
Building a small RV park.

Years ago I got a good piece of information (advice if you will) that went like this:

If you are in it for the money forget it.
If you are in it because of passion than you have something to offer and you will likely do well.

By this advice I would say that @Jim will have a smashing success. I am hoping you have the same passion because more quality RV parks are needed around the country.

Absolutely! This is what we have recognized as we visit parks, they’re all full! And the demand is high but the quality of many parks are low. We want to change that! And yes it appears we will be spending more money than we first thought we would :)Thank you for the tuff advice! It is real and nessessary and that is the information we are needing to help us make a good business decision.

1. Level sites (gravel, concrete, pavers or well maintained asphalt)
  2. Big rig friendly
  3. Full hookups with 50 amp service, though no sewer is not a deal breaker for me if you’re near a nice attraction
  4. Good wifi or cell coverage from one of the big three carriers
  5. Dog park
  6. Kid friendly
  7. A pool is always nice but not required
These are the things I look for

MapNerd has it pretty well covered. I would add sites that have some space between them and well maintained.

Most of the parks we’ve visited have an average of 36’ between the meters poles. What is a comfortable space for you?

Being in Gilmer, expect to get a lot of vehicles towing offroad atvs, trailers with jeeps, etc. Ample space and parking will be crucial for your location.

You will have to decide which crowd you want at your park. Price too low, and you are full all the time with people that will bring down the quality.

Price too high, and you will lose potential income and have empty spots.

I personally would love to find a weekend getaway in Gilmer for my RV and jeep that wasn't infested with drunken rednecks. Bad enough dealing with those fools on the trail, don't need to deal with them in the park too.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back