• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Aonyx

RVF Newbee
Hi All,

I am looking to go in on getting a small to medium size travel trailer to tow with my 2021 Silverado 1500 Duramax 3.0L, which can tow around 10000lbs (9800 to be exact), obviously would want to be less than this so there is additional capacity for gear and water, etc. Would be splitting the costs with my mom and it would be parked on her property. Primarily will be used for short weekend trips in Virginia, would also probably use it to sleep in when I visit my mom for 1-2 nights. There seems to be a decent range of prices on used trailers on the market. Looking for recommendations as far as things to look out for and brands to avoid in general in the used market. Price range is 10k-20k. Ideally would sleep 5 or 6, would have AC, a slide out and an an awning.

Another question would be as far as generators go, what wattage should I be looking for? From what I can tell the AC requires ~3000 Watts to start and 1500 for running, so I've been looking at the 4500-6000W range for a generator.

Thanks!

The first thing that comes to mind is to really think about the 10,000 pound tow rating. Most TTs have about 16% as tongue weight. That means you would have about 1,600 pounds of tongue weight. Take the Cargo Carrying Capacity of the truck and subtract that. Then subtract the weight of everyone and everything you plan on putting in the truck and see where you are at for weight that the truck can carry. Chances are you will be over what the truck is rated for. But, what the hey, Toyota showed their truck towing the space shuttle, so they can tow anything.........
Far as a generator, one that has an output of 3600 watts is normally enough to run one A/C and most other things, but not the A/C with a toaster or other high load appliance.

Have you camped before? Just ask because how you use the unit will dictate many of your answers. Do you plan on mostly boondocking? Can your mom install power supply line for the camper? That would give you power on your visits with her. Are you looking to camp in the cold weather, that drives you in a bit of a different direction.

Get out and look at units, get a feel on space, capabilities, and usefulness. From there you can narrow down your search.

You can look on line and find good and bad things about every manufacture out there. CV has impacted the RV industry in a big way, drove up demand and hurt supply at the same time. Any rig you find, new or used, has to have a good inspection done to make sure it is not full of problems. Trust but verify.

good luck and welcome.

Have you camped before? Just ask because how you use the unit will dictate many of your answers. Do you plan on mostly boondocking? Can your mom install power supply line for the camper? That would give you power on your visits with her. Are you looking to camp in the cold weather, that drives you in a bit of a different direction.

Get out and look at units, get a feel on space, capabilities, and usefulness. From there you can narrow down your search.

You can look on line and find good and bad things about every manufacture out there. CV has impacted the RV industry in a big way, drove up demand and hurt supply at the same time. Any rig you find, new or used, has to have a good inspection done to make sure it is not full of problems. Trust but verify.

good luck and welcome.
Thanks for your reply. I have extensive experience tent camping (boy scouts and just recreationally). I've only stayed in a stationary RV for rent on the VA eastern shore once. It was a cool experience. I am not totally sure which setting we'd probably use it for, probably a mix of both. Probably mostly VA state parks or other state parks in nearby states. Would want to have two separate sleeping areas for me and my spouse and other family members. Definitely want an awning and AC. I can tell how fast RVs are selling right now! We aren't really in a rush and wouldn't mind waiting a little while to find the right one, but would like to get one before the end of the year if possible.

With the state parks you can always find at least power and water, most have dump stations rather than sewer connections at site (few have full hook ups). VA has some great state parks, fit all kinds of RV's. NC as well. So the genset is something you can hold off of at first. Awning come with most, but not hard to add if you find one without. A/C units will be specific to length of rig, smaller units will have one. Longer units go to multiple units. Be careful of those on the edge, a longer unit with a single AC may have trouble cooling down the whole rig in heavy heat. So much out there, just take your time to find what works for you. Watch out for the bells and whistles, nice to have stuff that drives up price without really adding value to purchase. I always recommend renting a few times to make sure family is really into the lifestyle, or RV becomes an expensive lawn ornament.

Many VA state parks have Yurts and cabins available to rent, can give you a sense of how everyone likes the great outdoors.

Best of luck.

Latest resources

Back