• Commercial/Vendors welcome

New to RVing! The toilet!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Lots and lots of water. I think most chemicals are just scents. I use Unique in mine. No scent. Big plus 1 on detergent and water going down the road. I use Dawn and borax.

I recall when we bought our new-to-us motorhome (10 years ago, wow) we were standing st the dealership with snother customer who had his 45-ft MH in for service of some sort, and we asked him, how did he handle the toilet situstion. He squirmed a bit, and finally replied "Nothing solid". 😳 We took our first trip to a lovely resort in north Houston, an NEVER used our toilet 😂. We passed each other once in the night, trekking to the park restrooms (which were very nice, btw, Next trip we said, 'screw this, we're using our own facility,'. It's not been bad st sll.
1. Keep black tank closed until dumping (at 2/3 full) or so).
2. Use lots of water in flushing.
3. No need to use RV tp. We use cheap Walmart "Everday something" stuff. Not as nice as Charmin, but oh well. Do a 'shake it up in water' test before using iffy brands. We used Scott 1000 for years with no problem.
3. Dump before travel. Add a bag of ice, and some treatment.
4. Dump before storing, duh. 😖

First off, start the camping trip once set up with 5-6 full bowls of water flushed down into the black tank. Then add Unique Digest-it to the tank to assist with dissolving any flushed contents < best stuff we have found and highly recommended.

Flush a lot when flushing and use Grey tank at end of camping trip to flush the line and if your TT is equipped with a black tank flush hookup, thoroughly flush it to clean the walls and sensor.

If you do this, you will hardly have any issues we have found.

Congrats and welcome aboard.

The RV National Training Center that trains RV techs put out a video test on several of the popular products and the one I link to below is the winner. I have used packets and Happy Camper I can't tell if one is better than the other. What I do like about the product below is that liquid and easy to get into the black tank through my macerator toilets.

The RV National Training Center that trains RV techs put out a video test on several of the popular products and the one I link to below is the winner. I have used packets and Happy Camper I can't tell if one is better than the other. What I do like about the product below is that liquid and easy to get into the black tank through my macerator toilets.

Yup, I graduated from there in Oct. Have used it successfully a couple times since. One was real bad, real bad.......no more room for anything......gads the things I get to see. But it released after a few days without my involvement....you get the idea....

They have more then one product for different scenario's.

They have more then one product for different scenario's.
I got a bottle of the Sensor Cleaner but have not had to use it yet. It was interesting when he said don't clean the toilet with bleach or anything that will kill microbes in the black tank.

I’ve been in the same spot for 10 days - a record for me, and since I’m hooked up to everything, I’ve kept the toilet on wet bowl. This has put me over 2/3 of a tank almost every day, so the tank has had a lot of flushing and consequently the sensors are reading correctly. No additives in the tank of any kind. Just a lot of water and near daily dumping.

I’ve been contemplating adding some dishwasher detergent since its non-sudsing and a fairly strong cleaner. I tried laundry detergent pods and it caused a big sudsy mess in the system, fouled the sensors, and required a lot of rinse and flush cycles to get it out.

Just a lot of water and near daily dumping.

The water police will be knocking on your door.....

Just a lot of water and near daily dumping.

The water police will be knocking on your door.....
Don’t tell anyone, but I also double flush #1

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back