• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Newbie looking for input

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Hand down I would go with the new 38' Mountain Aire. Ride, handling and power wise will be superior to the New Aire. Not that there is anything wrong with the New Aire. The Mountain Aire is just the next level coach up. You have the K2 chassis on the NA compared to the K3 on a MA which is much beefier. I beleave the basement storage height is taller in the MA also. But all in all it's relative because there is almost a $200k differences in base price between the two. But if money is not a factor the Mountain Aire would be my choice.
Thanks Scottramer. I guess it does make sense that the basement storage height would be higher on the MA given the extra overall height of the rig. Still seems like quite a bit less storage than on the NA. We’ll have to get our heads around whether that’s a deal breaker for us and also whether all the other values of the MA can justify the price difference for what we think we will need. Appreciate the input.

Just a couple of ramblings.. The MADP is just a different class, even the 38. The NA is in a class of its own. NA is about 1 ft 3 in or so shorter height. I think this was to provide better stability for the very short wheel base (the orig 34')of a very (top)heavy unit. As one of their people explained long ago, they had a good of bit of engineering to accomplish that.

To build the NA, they add lower rails to the original bare chassis. Then the original beams are cut/removed. This is to help lower the body within the frame. Hence, the shorter overall height. I do not know if the process has changed. When you go to the factory, is the best time to observe all the processes up close.

I think the new 38 MADP has a market for itself too. With all the slides, there is enough room inside and the shorter length offers benefits of its own. However, I see one potential short coming, very limited compartment space underneath. The double door compartment is nice. It won't take much to fill that. Do not know how that compares to the NA. But wonder, once they sell enough of the 38 MA's, if that may gain more notice.

I think they probably have a fix for that potential short coming. Some years back at the factory, I saw a KADP with a narrow compartment right behind the basement freezer rcompartment. This narrow compartment had a sliding tray all the way across containing 16 AGM batts! The tray could slide out from either side. Looking at the 38 MA's, I see a good bit of open space in front of the oasis compartment on the driver side. Taking a bit of space from the double door compartment on the pass side, it seems there maybe just enough room for a narrow compartment with a sliding tray. One side could store the LI Batts and the other can store the inverters. The existing Batt/Inverter compartment can then be modified for additional storage.

One item that 'may' be of interest is, what items you 'need' to have in the coach and where/how to store them. Items that you need to have in the living area and others that you may need to stored down below.

I had other RVs before and had a good idea of what items and where/how to store them. The floorplan I had with the last unit (45 LADP) didn't have any medicine cabinet. There were drawers, but that wasn't practical, so I had them build a med cabinet with mirrors above the wash sink. Planning for the items you need to have, may also help better choose the more practical unit, or even mod the floorplan, where practical.
Just a couple of ramblings.. The MADP is just a different class, even the 38. The NA is in a class of its own. NA is about 1 ft 3 in or so shorter height. I think this was to provide better stability for the very short wheel base (the orig 34')of a very (top)heavy unit. As one of their people explained long ago, they had a good of bit of engineering to accomplish that.

To build the NA, they add lower rails to the original bare chassis. Then the original beams are cut/removed. This is to help lower the body within the frame. Hence, the shorter overall height. I do not know if the process has changed. When you go to the factory, is the best time to observe all the processes up close.

I think the new 38 MADP has a market for itself too. With all the slides, there is enough room inside and the shorter length offers benefits of its own. However, I see one potential short coming, very limited compartment space underneath. The double door compartment is nice. It won't take much to fill that. Do not know how that compares to the NA. But wonder, once they sell enough of the 38 MA's, if that may gain more notice.

I think they probably have a fix for that potential short coming. Some years back at the factory, I saw a KADP with a narrow compartment right behind the basement freezer rcompartment. This narrow compartment had a sliding tray all the way across containing 16 AGM batts! The tray could slide out from either side. Looking at the 38 MA's, I see a good bit of open space in front of the oasis compartment on the driver side. Taking a bit of space from the double door compartment on the pass side, it seems there maybe just enough room for a narrow compartment with a sliding tray. One side could store the LI Batts and the other can store the inverters. The existing Batt/Inverter compartment can then be modified for additional storage.

One item that 'may' be of interest is, what items you 'need' to have in the coach and where/how to store them. Items that you need to have in the living area and others that you may need to stored down below.

I had other RVs before and had a good idea of what items and where/how to store them. The floorplan I had with the last unit (45 LADP) didn't have any medicine cabinet. There were drawers, but that wasn't practical, so I had them build a med cabinet with mirrors above the wash sink. Planning for the items you need to have, may also help better choose the more practical unit, or even mod the floorplan, where practical.
Rd1, interesting comments on how they accomplish the lower height on the NA. Hopefully when we get to the factory we will get a chance to see one on the line. Thanks for the thoughts

Where we are at in the process is we’ve identified the New Aire as the choice, have an acceptable quote from one of the highly spoken of dealers / sales person and are about to arrange a trip to Nappanee to finalize colors / specials etc before placing the order.

Let us know what you find on your trip. The choices of colors is hard without seeing them in the context of a real 2024 NA. Unfortunately right now there are none out West so we just looked at the samples from images on line. Here are our choices.

unnamed-1.1.jpgunnamed-1.jpgunnamed-2.jpgunnamed-3.jpgunnamed-4.jpgunnamed-5.jpgunnamed-6.jpgunnamed-7.jpgunnamed-8.jpgunnamed-9.jpg

Let us know what you find on your trip. The choices of colors is hard without seeing them in the context of a real 2024 NA. Unfortunately right now there are none out West so we just looked at the samples from images on line. Here are our choices.

View attachment 20669View attachment 20670View attachment 20671View attachment 20672View attachment 20673View attachment 20674View attachment 20675View attachment 20676View attachment 20677View attachment 20678
I hear you that it’s hard to get a real sense for materials, colors, etc without seeing them in person. We’ve also never been to the factory so sounds like that’s worth a visit so we are going to “kill two birds with one stone” and have an appointment with their designer while we are there. Our trip isn’t until late Oct as Fall is busy this year. Want to get coach ordered by Thanksgiving as we want to have it late spring. Given that timing based on what I’ve seen in some other posts we may get a chance to see your coach on the line and if we do will definitely get some pics

I hear you that it’s hard to get a real sense for materials, colors, etc without seeing them in person. We’ve also never been to the factory so sounds like that’s worth a visit so we are going to “kill two birds with one stone” and have an appointment with their designer while we are there. Our trip isn’t until late Oct as Fall is busy this year. Want to get coach ordered by Thanksgiving as we want to have it late spring. Given that timing based on what I’ve seen in some other posts we may get a chance to see your coach on the line and if we do will definitely get some pics

Thanks, probably won't be much to see of my build at the end of October. One thing we learned from our first NA is that you want a light interior. These DP's don't have many windows, so a dark interior really makes it more cave like inside. We got the brochure trim for the 2018 model. Looks great in the brochure but very dark inside.

Also two exterior trim selections for 2024 have black over the top of the coach. Black is not a good choice if you operate where it is very sunny, like out West. The skin really heats up with black paint on the top of the coach.

Here is the 2018 New Aire brochure for comparison.

Attachments

• Brochure_2018NADPB.pdf
    7.7 MB · Views: 1
Good advice. Thx.
BTW, there’s some great recommendations in forum on Specials but given you’ve actually “lived” in a New Aire would be curious what specials you ordered on the new baby.

Good advice. Thx.
BTW, there’s some great recommendations in forum on Specials but given you’ve actually “lived” in a New Aire would be curious what specials you ordered on the new baby.

Not many specials. Best to hold modifications until after delivery, if feasible. Much cheaper. Here are my specials. Just added 110 volt outlet to equipment cabinet above driver for Starlink power supply. 2018 NA had both 12 volt and 110 volt in the cabinet. But along the way they deleted 110 volt unless you order a satellite system. Starlink obsoletes satellite TV but not an option yet for Newmar.

Attachments

• Anderson - specials.pdf
    37.9 KB · Views: 1
You can request the special for "starlink prep" also that will add conduit from the roof to that upper cabinet.. I suggested to Newmar that they also add the 110v outlet as part of that special.. makes sense to me that there should always be a 110v outlet in that cabinet.

My first rig is in my signature. Good friend who had a 5th wheel just converted to a 45ft Allegro Bus and is doing fine with it. IMHO these big rigs aren't difficult to drive ( but I grew up on a farm and drove trucks as a teenager). IMHO big is better especially if you plan on spending months in the rig.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back