RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
TOW/TOAD
2011 Jeep Liberty
I've owned our 2016 Ventana LE 4037 for 4 months now and closing the entry door doesn't seem right to me. To close if from an open position you really have to tug/jerk it to move, then to get it to closed and latched you have to slam it so hard the entire coach shakes. I'm surprised the door glass has not broken not to mention the noise it makes for fellow campers when I take the dog out at 5:30am. Other Newmar owners say this is known as "The Newmar Slam" and is normal but I don't like it.

Do you all have this problem? Is there no fix for this?

Thanks,
Steve

I’m not sure where I saw this, but it has been discussed as naseum.
Some refer to it as a two-stage catch. One to gently secure at the campground, and another tighter position for travel.
At any rate, it CAN be adjusted.
Hope you can search for the good info on it.

Yes, it’s adjustable. The website for the vendor has instructions.

I have a 2016 Ventana and I never slam the door. Easy open and easy close. You can close the door with two fingers and most of the time it closes with a gentle push. I don't believe in slamming car door or my motorhome door. Now if I want to use the "second" latch, I have to open the drivers window and as you say slam the door really hard. I never use the "second" latch. I haven't had the door to come open while travel either. I would check the bracket at the door top to see if bent/damaged which would make it hard to close from a full open position and might interfere with closure.

Yes, it is adjustable but it is not an easy process as Newmar hides the mechanism behind a wooden trim piece that has to be removed. We found that in our 2014 Ventana LE, a bit of lubrication on the striker post (we used Door-Eeze) helped. With our current coach, we have a similar "two-finger" closing that @stang37 describes. It is all in the adjustment.

TJ

On my coach I found that the rubber bumpers on the screen door were too tall. They prevented the outside door from coming in enough to engage the second stage of the latch.
I trim them down, and now it is much better.
Also locking the dead bolt before departing is on our check list. That's very good indicator that the latch is fully engaged.
In the past we had the door pop open to the first stage and the wind noise was irritating.

The check strap at the top of the door (Long metal piece that is hinged) will sag down and cause the door to close hard. Just take the end of a broom handle and bend in up about a 1/4" and see if that helps. I have to do that on my 2019 London Aire about every 6 months

It may very well be that the door operated well when leaving the factory when first manufactured. but settled out of adjustment during delivery or after the first few months of operation.
We had factory delivery and by the time we got home the door was out of adjustment.
We were told by the dealer that this is "normal".
At our first annual maintenance visit back at the Newmar Service Center, we asked about the door fitment. The door was adjusted and has closed easily since, no slamming.

The check strap at the top of the door (Long metal piece that is hinged) will sag down and cause the door to close hard. Just take the end of a broom handle and bend in up about a 1/4" and see if that helps. I have to do that on my 2019 London Aire about every 6 months
Be careful doing that! A while back, I noticed my hinged door check was sagging enough to brush the top of the door. I used the broom-handle approach and the arm popped off the pivot. It was worn out (in a two-year-old coach, no less) and had to be replaced. And, they are NOT cheap! Newmar wants nearly $300 for one (shipping included) and the door manufacturer (PTL) price is $99.80 + shipping (about $15 when I ordered last summer).

Easy does it!

TJ

Do you all have this problem? Is there no fix for this?
Yup. And I have to slam hard in order to use the dead bolt. I asked about it when I was at Newmar getting service. He did not recommend adjusting it due to the possibility of not getting a good seal and hearing wind noise as I traveled.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back