• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Newmar slide activation idiosyncrasies

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
They had a new (at the time, maybe '18) King Aire at North Trail decide to deploy the awnings right next to a new Mountain Aire. The result was not nice.

Our 2017 wouldn’t go in/out with ignition on or running. There was a few times my heart stopped when nothing happened when I pushed the button to bring the slide in or out, only to find the key was on.

2020 is totally different, works in all configuration. My normally procedure is shore power connected, run engine to bring to ride height and leave running, bring slides in and then disconnect shore power. I do believe FWS operates more smoothly with engine running.
That’s what I’m hearing is the best way to operate the system. Seems as if Newmar decided the same thing and changed to fully operational with the engine running sometime after my 2017 model year. Anyone know where the relays are to allow slide use with engine running?

Odd things happen with switched power

From another Board

"The immediate issue is over, but could use some help figuring it out. As the title says, I had the main slideout open itself while driving down the interstate at 65 mph. Luckily, I was able to address the situation safely."

Like others, I have all electric slides (Ventana), and I have had times when I pushed out or retracted the slides on battery alone... I have not noticed any difference. It has occurred with only fully charged batteries. And I have not figured out which battery bank powers the slides...and I have watched the voltage on the battery meter near the switches and cannot discern any significant draw down when they are running.

As others have said, none of the slides on my unit will work with the ignition key on...so I either have to be on shore power or generator. And although I see this as a best practice, especially with the hydraulic units, I am wondering how high the draw could be, especially if it does not significantly show up on the battery meter. I would hope the slides would utilize the house batteries as they are a larger bank to draw from, but if they were fully charged, especially lithium's, I really can't see why they wouldn't be able to run the slides without AC power.

I welcome thoughts.

On my 2014 Essex, the full wall slide will go out with the engine running. It will not go in with the engine running. Thus you have to start up, get to ride height, and then shut down to bring the slide in. Very aggravating. The other two slides all have to have the engine off.

I believe things like slide operation strictly depend on make, model and year of the coach. All are designed similarly (ie a box that slides out of the wall of the coach) yet will have significant differences in operation due to what components were used, size of slide, etc. My manual is my go to, as it will be my insurance with the factory if something goes awry. (Hey, I followed your written instructions to operate). BTW, my manual says best operation for my 2020 Newmar KSDP is genny running or plugged into shore power and engine running. I have done that all along and had mostly good results, some out of alignment issues depending on how well the levelers did their job, but never a failure to extend or retract. Fingers crossed that success continues. Previous coach was a dumpster fire when it came to the FWS Even when following their instructions to the letter. Go figure.

Like others, I have all electric slides (Ventana), and I have had times when I pushed out or retracted the slides on battery alone... I have not noticed any difference. It has occurred with only fully charged batteries. And I have not figured out which battery bank powers the slides...and I have watched the voltage on the battery meter near the switches and cannot discern any significant draw down when they are running.

As others have said, none of the slides on my unit will work with the ignition key on...so I either have to be on shore power or generator. And although I see this as a best practice, especially with the hydraulic units, I am wondering how high the draw could be, especially if it does not significantly show up on the battery meter. I would hope the slides would utilize the house batteries as they are a larger bank to draw from, but if they were fully charged, especially lithium's, I really can't see why they wouldn't be able to run the slides without AC power.

I welcome thoughts.
All my slides work off the chassis batteries and I can see a drawdown on the gauge. Seems like it would be much better to run all the slides off my 8 house batteries but I guess Newmar is afraid we might run the house batteries down when not hooked up to shore power. Again trying to protect us dummies I suppose.

Thanks. I will look closer next time….

I would think the safety rules should be something like:
Slide cannot operate unless powertrain is in Neutral and zero MPH.
Slide cannot operate unless whatever seat is in it's way is moved out of the way.
Slide cannot be operated if baggage doors are in the way (where applicable).
Slide SHOULD be operated when motor is running (for Voltage). Gentle reminder that that is best strategy but can be moved anyway.
Slide SHOULD be operated only when the rig is level and not twisted (but this can be manually overridden with appropriate cautions).
Warning if awning is out if Slide is attempted to be moved (in / out).
Slide operates after appropriate verbal / visual warning that it will move.
If Battery voltage is less than ~12V....warning but not a deal stopper.

Any other rules come to mind?

Good points… but hard to check all of them in an automated way.

Question. If the slides are run off the chassis battery and they want you to have it running on shore/gen when operating the slides, what if your house batteries are not fully charged… wouldn’t that prevent any charge from going to the chassis battery? I though the inverter/charter did not charge the chassis batteries until the house batteries are topped off. Or do I have that wrong?

Latest resources

Back