• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved Newmar vent panels not staying in place

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I tried a cheap fix today, but will have to see if it stands the test of time. I ended up buying 2 packs of these magnets with countersunk holes in the center and screws off of Amazon. 2 packs as each ceiling panel has 22 magnets. Amazon product ASIN B09LYWGGFR. It's the 10mm diameter ones to match the size of the factory ones, not the 8mm.

I ended up collecting up all the magnets that Newmar had used from either where they had ripped out of the panel pockets and stayed attached to the metal ceiling frame or by using a pair or pliers to pull them out of the pockets in the wooden drop panels.

I then marked a drill bit to the depth I wanted to drill pilot holes for the screws that came with the new magnets. After drilling all the holes in each of the magnet pockets in the wooden drop panel (centered in the existing now empty pockets) I then pushed the new magents into the pockets and screwed them into place. No more magnets coming out of the wooden drop panel!!!

Now here is where it got sketchy and plans changed. When I remounted the drop panel into the ceiling it was pretty obvious the new magents were not going to be strong enough as they were much weaker than the previous magnets. Solution? I simply stacked each of the old magnets onto each of the new magnets. Now when the panel is first inserted Newmar's previous magnets grab hold of both the metal frame in the ceiling and onto the new magnets and screws firmly attached to the wooden drop panels.

When I remove the panels all of Newmar's old magnets stay attached to the metal frame in the ceiling. That said, I am not left with a worthless drop frame with empty magnet pockets as my new ones are still firmly attached. To reaffix the drop panel just push it back in place and I can hear all the magnets, new and old, re-engage again.

The drop panel hangs about 1/4" lower than it used to, but the metal mounting frame bracket was recessed enough for this not to matter.

I suppose one could to similar with metal washers and screws or metal plates and screws vs these weak magnets with counter sunk holes in them, but I do believe this provides a stonger, less frustrating hold than the factory solution.

Best,
-Mark

Attachments

• 20231223_104546.jpg
    20231223_104546.jpg
    846.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231223_104821.jpg
    20231223_104821.jpg
    993.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231223_105109.jpg
    20231223_105109.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20231223_105211.jpg
    20231223_105211.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 20231223_110354.jpg
    20231223_110354.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20231223_115947.jpg
    20231223_115947.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 20231223_121100.jpg
    20231223_121100.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20231223_121108.jpg
    20231223_121108.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 20231223_142033.jpg
    20231223_142033.jpg
    871.3 KB · Views: 4
I tried a cheap fix today, but will have to see if it stands the test of time. I ended up buying 2 packs of these magnets with countersunk holes in the center and screws off of Amazon. 2 packs as each ceiling panel has 22 magnets. Amazon product ASIN B09LYWGGFR. It's the 10mm diameter ones to match the size of the factory ones, not the 8mm.

I ended up collecting up all the magnets that Newmar had used from either where they had ripped out of the panel pockets and stayed attached to the metal ceiling frame or by using a pair or pliers to pull them out of the pockets in the wooden drop panels.

I then marked a drill bit to the depth I wanted to drill pilot holes for the screws that came with the new magnets. After drilling all the holes in each of the magnet pockets in the wooden drop panel (centered in the existing now empty pockets) I then pushed the new magents into the pockets and screwed them into place. No more magnets coming out of the wooden drop panel!!!

Now here is where it got sketchy and plans changed. When I remounted the drop panel into the ceiling it was pretty obvious the new magents were not going to be strong enough as they were much weaker than the previous magnets. Solution? I simply stacked each of the old magnets onto each of the new magnets. Now when the panel is first inserted Newmar's previous magnets grab hold of both the metal frame in the ceiling and onto the new magnets and screws firmly attached to the wooden drop panels.

When I remove the panels all of Newmar's old magnets stay attached to the metal frame in the ceiling. That said, I am not left with a worthless drop frame with empty magnet pockets as my new ones are still firmly attached. To reaffix the drop panel just push it back in place and I can hear all the magnets, new and old, re-engage again.

The drop panel hangs about 1/4" lower than it used to, but the metal mounting frame bracket was recessed enough for this not to matter.

I suppose one could to similar with metal washers and screws or metal plates and screws vs these weak magnets with counter sunk holes in them, but I do believe this provides a stonger, less frustrating hold than the factory solution.

Best,
-Mark
I have a 2017 DS. My roof louvers also have the magnet attachments to keep things in place......however, mine are much bigger than yours. I have never had any issues at all. This holds it very secure. There are 4 magnets per panel. Might be worth trying to get these magnets from Newmar and retrofitting them.

20240104_092413[1].jpg
20240104_092418[1].jpg

I have a 2017 DS. My roof louvers also have the magnet attachments to keep things in place......however, mine are much bigger than yours. I have never had any issues at all. This holds it very secure. There are 4 magnets per panel. Might be worth trying to get these magnets from Newmar and retrofitting them.

View attachment 22414View attachment 22415
Admittedly I like how Newmar used to do it (your example), but in their newer designs they have hardly any real estate to mount a magnet to anymore along the wooden frame. It looks like the older style has more than 1.5" to mount large magnets and striker plates whereas the newer style (used on mine) has < 0.5" (hence the small little round magnets). The small ones would work if they 1) drilled deeper pockets to hold 2 in a single hole; 2) used screws to mount them vs relying on the diameter of the pocket hole and some glue.

Best,
-Mark

They make magnets of all shapes and sizes. Maybe try something like this? Amazon product ASIN B0B3X78GFH
It really does not like Amazon links. Can't get it to post. Do a search for rectangular magnets with holes.

On the other mating surface, screw in a piece of metal for the magnet to bond with. Going with a shape like this might be able to fit with your more limited space.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back