RV Length
36'
Chassis
Spartan
TOW/TOAD
Fiat 500 Turbo
Fulltimer
No
On my 2023 Newman New Aire my three vent panels keep dropping from the ceiling. It appears that the magnets they compression fit into the wood panel frames with some CA glue keep popping out of the wood. Once enough of them work their way loose from their sockets the entire panel drops.

I've tried prying them off the metal rail they adhere to, pushing them back into the wooden frame where it has been milled to hold them, as well as gluing them back in (thick CA). They still pop out as CA and magnets don't adhere well.

I am thinking of four possible solutions. One is to use strips of magnetic tape with 3M adhesive on the wooden frame (stapled). The second is to bore the magnet holes out deeper so they are flush with the wood and apply a super thin acrylic over them (will the magnets still hold the panel in place if not making physical contact with the metal frame in the ceiling?). Third is to try a coat of epoxy over the magnets and wood (may try this first). Lastly, is to punt and instead attach some velcro, stapling to the wood and some epoxy to attatch compainion side to the metal frame.

Anybody else having this issue? If so, what has worked to solve the problem in your Newmar?

Best,
-Mark

Well, I sure wouldn't want to get hit in the head by one of those! I know on mine they use strong magnets. Maybe yours need to be replaced? I would imagine epoxy is probably holding them in? Be careful, dangerous situation it seems.

Well, I sure wouldn't want to get hit in the head by one of those! I know on mine they use strong magnets. Maybe yours need to be replaced? I would imagine epoxy is probably holding them in? Be careful, dangerous situation it seems.
The magnets are super strong (appear to be the more expensive rare earth magnets) but perhaps the wood wasn't dry enough before they bored the pockets to push the magnets into to ensure a tight compression fit as the wooden frame dried out over time. I have a woodshop at home so I could make replacement panels (or fill the holes in with epoxy and bore new pockets of a slightly smaller diameter on the CNC). That said, if others have experienced and solved this issue I'm all ears as I like easy and proven answers.

Best,
-Mark

The magnetic Flux is weaken when a gap is introduced!!!
I don't know for sure but if the magnets are close together they will hold better if the field alternates.. you might put up a picture!!!

The magnetic Flux is weaken when a gap is introduced!!!
I don't know for sure but if the magnets are close together they will hold better if the field alternates.. you might put up a picture!!!

Magnets are working perfectly. I'll post pics in a bit. Basically the magnets in the wood panel frame stick so wonderfully strong to the metal bracket in the ceiling as they cling to that they rip themselves out of the wood panel, staying attached to the metal in the ceiling frame. When enough magnets come out of their mounts in the removable wooden panel, the panel drops leaving a bunch of individual magnets stuck to the ceiling.

Best,
-Mark

Not knowing the specifics of this wood ceiling panel, is there space to use a small and thin piece of metal/steel that could be screwed to the wood? Thinking something along the lines of the metal side of a magnetic latch.
12Pack Magnetic Door Catch - 15lb High Magnetic Plastic Heavy Duty Latch for Kitchen Bathroom Cupboard Wardrobe Closet Closures Cabinet Door Drawer Magnets Screws Included Amazon.com

This could hold the magnet in place while also being magnetized. It could also be countersunk into the wood.

I would assume a slight weakening of the magnetic field, but not as much as just creating an epoxy gap that is not magnetic.

Here are some picks for the front panel (other 2 similar) after the previous attempts to remove all the dislodged magnets from the metal on the ceiling and trying to reglue them into the wooden panel pockets. The glue sat for a week before putting the panels back in place in the ceiling.

1st photo is a hanging panel after enough magnets came unglued, 2nd photo shows the 9 magnets that came out of the wooden panel pockets and stayed stuck to the ceiling bracket (the silver dots), 3rd is a close-up of a couple of the the empty magnet pockets where the pocket/glue gave way.

I think perhaps Newmar didn't think this magnetic panel attachment idea through all the way.

Best,
-Mark

Attachments

• 20231216_103123.jpg
    20231216_103123.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 20231216_103134.jpg
    20231216_103134.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 24
  • 20231216_103233.jpg
    20231216_103233.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
Ours dropped coming back from Maine, the wife pushed it back up (in) while we were in motion, I never did see it, I tried to take it down when we got parked, no luck, cannot figure out how to lower it, these pictures help, wife confirmed this is exactly what she saw while ours was down. thanks for sharing

Here are some picks for the front panel (other 2 similar) after the previous attempts to remove all the dislodged magnets from the metal on the ceiling and trying to reglue them into the wooden panel pockets. The glue sat for a week before putting the panels back in place in the ceiling.

1st photo is a hanging panel after enough magnets came unglued, 2nd photo shows the 9 magnets that came out of the wooden panel pockets and stayed stuck to the ceiling bracket (the silver dots), 3rd is a close-up of a couple of the the empty magnet pockets where the pocket/glue gave way.

I think perhaps Newmar didn't think this magnetic panel attachment idea through all the way.

Best,
-Mark
So, when you think magnetic the first thing that comes to mind is metal! Well at least that is what comes into mine!

It is great that they didn't finish what was behind the vent. At least that is what I'm thinking!

The answer in my book, is to get the multi tool out and slot from the side of the frame, under the bore for the magnetic!

Then slip a washer or piece of sheet metal in the slot. If you want glue the magnets to that and you will have increased the holding power considerably.

On my 2023 Newman New Aire my three vent panels keep dropping from the ceiling. It appears that the magnets they compression fit into the wood panel frames with some CA glue keep popping out of the wood. Once enough of them work their way loose from their sockets the entire panel drops.

I've tried prying them off the metal rail they adhere to, pushing them back into the wooden frame where it has been milled to hold them, as well as gluing them back in (thick CA). They still pop out as CA and magnets don't adhere well.

I am thinking of four possible solutions. One is to use strips of magnetic tape with 3M adhesive on the wooden frame (stapled). The second is to bore the magnet holes out deeper so they are flush with the wood and apply a super thin acrylic over them (will the magnets still hold the panel in place if not making physical contact with the metal frame in the ceiling?). Third is to try a coat of epoxy over the magnets and wood (may try this first). Lastly, is to punt and instead attach some velcro, stapling to the wood and some epoxy to attatch compainion side to the metal frame.

Anybody else having this issue? If so, what has worked to solve the problem in your Newmar?

Best,
-Mark
I am not sure CA is however could you make small metal plates the size of the magnets and mount them with a countersunk screw where the magnets mount in the wood? Being that you have the wood shop you could use the router to add a little depth to where the magnets currently mount or make new pieces. I love my wood shop. It comes in handy with the coach work.

Latest resources

Back