Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins ISL9 450HP
TOW/TOAD
2023 Silverado
Fulltimer
No
I'm currently considering the purchase of a Dutch Star on a Spartan Chassis that has the On Guard Collision Mitigation System. Based on other threads is appears some folks that have it would not opt for it again. Also have read reports from about a year ago regarding significant brake application by the system for no apparent reason. I would appreciate any updates forum members might be willing to provide regarding their experience with On Guard and any recommendation you may have to include it or avoid it.

I have it on my London Aire and would not buy a coach without it. I had mine hit the brakes one time and it will scare the hell out of you but it worked as intended. Someone cut in front of me and then slammed on the brakes and the collision avoidance prevented an accident. Plus the added benefit is the Adaptive Cruise control which I love.

It is an expensive option and I think it takes some learning. The adaptive cruise has 3 settings, short/medium and long. If anywhere there is traffic you can’t use any setting except in short, which will engage speed reduction starting at about 265’. The speed reduction is so subtle that if you aren’t aware you will be going a lot slower than expected or want in a passing situation. Overall this feature works nicely.

Collision mitigation feature can surprise you when braking. I have only had one time that brake application was applied for no apparent reason. That being said I have had a couple of times that braking engaged when vehicle in front was exiting highway, completely out of my lane and on the off ramp when system activated. I now pay particular attention to these situations. There is no way to turn off the CMS.

Hope this helps

Latest resources

Back