• Commercial/Vendors welcome

On our way to Alaska

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Safe travels and look forward to updates and lessons learned as many watching want to take this journey someday. We're living vicariously through you and look forward to your pictures and experiences. Enjoy the amazing journey!

We're 7 days into our 11-day Alaskan cruise and it's given us only a sampling of what Alaska is like. We have an add-on 4-day trip to Denali, including a 4.5-hour train ride to the park which will only add to our determination to return next summer in the motorhome. The weather has been awesome; it's mid-50s with lots of sunshine.

Have a safe trip, you will love Alaska.

Will be following your trip. Curious to see how just 2 months is going to be. I did a motorcycle trip with 2 military buds in 2018 from Denver to Anchorage. Did 27 days, 8338 miles and did not have any time to stop and see the sights. It was a time constraint on us so we dealt with it.
I am planning a trip to Alaska from Dallas area. Route so far has us going to Grand Canyon, Zion NP, Brice NP Napa Valley then up West Coast thru Vancouver up the western route to TOK then to Denali. Coming back the eastern route Banff NP, Jasper, Calgary, Black Hills. Haven't figured all the stops out yet but did restrict travel to about 4 hours a day when possible. Really want to see the sights. Have another couple that wants to caravan with us. A little less than 11,000 miles and 63 days. Know that there many sights to see but trying to keep the cost down as much as possible on excursions.
Be interesting to read about your trip!!

We just landed in Sturgis SD. Found a cheep if cash rv park. Very nice lady running it. We’re not far from Deadwood which will see in the morning. Earlier we stopped at Wall SD and looked around Wall Drug Store which takes up most of the town. Got our souvenirs and free cup of coffee and doughnuts.

Attachments

• IMG_2905.jpeg
    IMG_2905.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2906.jpeg
    IMG_2906.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2907.jpeg
    IMG_2907.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2908.jpeg
    IMG_2908.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2909.jpeg
    IMG_2909.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2910.jpeg
    IMG_2910.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 43
Will be following your trip. Curious to see how just 2 months is going to be. I did a motorcycle trip with 2 military buds in 2018 from Denver to Anchorage. Did 27 days, 8338 miles and did not have any time to stop and see the sights. It was a time constraint on us so we dealt with it.
I am planning a trip to Alaska from Dallas area. Route so far has us going to Grand Canyon, Zion NP, Brice NP Napa Valley then up West Coast thru Vancouver up the western route to TOK then to Denali. Coming back the eastern route Banff NP, Jasper, Calgary, Black Hills. Haven't figured all the stops out yet but did restrict travel to about 4 hours a day when possible. Really want to see the sights. Have another couple that wants to caravan with us. A little less than 11,000 miles and 63 days. Know that there many sights to see but trying to keep the cost down as much as possible on excursions.
Be interesting to read about your trip!
Your itinerary looks great, but I want to spend 63 days in Alaska. We did 5,000 miles in the lower 48 last year and it was 97 days.

Your itinerary looks great, but I want to spend 63 days in Alaska. We did 5,000 miles in the lower 48 last year and it was 97 days.
We’re kind of like @RVThereYet , we are traveling some long days in areas that we don’t have a reason to stop. If there is a place of interest, will stay a bit. The example being the first part of our trip. We’ve been through the area several times so we wanted to focus on Deadwood since we’ve never been there. When we’re done we’re heading to Glacier.

We we spent a few days in Sturgis and Deadwood. We actually spent an extra day. There was a lot to see. Sturgis is somewhat of a small town. Nothing really fancy, but really nice people. It’s history has been overshadowed be the largest bike rally in the world starting around August the 4th. Some of the places here are shut down most of the year until the rally. There is one RV Park that has maybe 2000 spots and is completely shut down until the rally. Crazy. I really didn’t see any “top end” RV parks, but there are some nice ones.

Deadwood is a very old cowboy town that grew when gold was discovered. Nestled in a valley of some beautiful mountains. Initially I was a bit disappointed because everything seemed so touristy. It seems every store has slot machines. Even the tee shirt stores have slots. Anyway we stayed an extra day so Twila could hit the museum's in Deadwood. We found out that after the gold was gone the city began to decline. They “decided” in 1929 to become a tourist town and started the “76” days which is the last week in July. Parades, rodeo, etc. so that touristy air about the place started almost 100 years ago. So now it got more interesting to me and Twila.
All in all it was a good time. Glad we stayed that extra day.
Now on to Glacier National Park.

Attachments

• IMG_4967.jpeg
    IMG_4967.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4971.jpeg
    IMG_4971.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2930.jpeg
    IMG_2930.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2921.jpeg
    IMG_2921.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2922.jpeg
    IMG_2922.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2926.jpeg
    IMG_2926.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2928.jpeg
    IMG_2928.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2919.jpeg
    IMG_2919.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4957.jpeg
    IMG_4957.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2918.jpeg
    IMG_2918.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 24
Totally agree. That said, we have no idea the time we wil spend there. That 63 days is just traveling here and back. We haven't taken the time to map out excursions and sights we want't to do.
From my MC trip, it is breath taking scenery and I would like nothing more than get my fill of it.
Good luck and hope your trip is awesome!!!

HAPPY CAMPING!!

We love SD, many many trips, only a 2 day drive for us, we are actually going back this fall, badlands,.Custer State Park, spearfish, deadwood then off to Idaho Falls, glad you enjoyed it

Wall Drug hot beef sandwiches were my kids favorite

Latest resources

Back