Mini lite
RV Length
30'
TOW/TOAD
2011 ford f250
Fulltimer
No
Hi all
Has or does anybody use a citizen band radio (cb)?
I owned one back when i was a teenager until mid 20s.
Wondering if they are still used by the traveling public and not just tractor trailer drivers.

For communications between reasonable short distances, 5 miles or less, personal 2 way VHF or UHF radios are very suitable. Motorola has the Talk-a-bout T460 series for $90 / pr. Midland GMRS radios were found at Walmart for about $80/pr.

Stay away from the BaoFeng radios. Regardless of what is said or recommended, they are junk.

Stay away from any radios that advertise or can be used on amateur radio frequencies. These require an FCC license to operate legally. Fines for unlicensed operation can range up to $20K with a few years of free room and board in a Federal penitentiary. {At least those are the nicer places.}

As to CB usage, it is a good place to learn and hear lots of 4 letter words.

Stay away from any radios that advertise or can be used on amateur radio frequencies. These require an FCC license to operate legally. Fines for unlicensed operation can range up to $20K with a few years of free room and board in a Federal penitentiary. {At least those are the nicer places.}
Be aware that GMRS also requires a license - $35 for a 10-year license, with no testing required.

I use Midland radios for talking between vehicles and also if two parties are splitting up to go to different places locally or even going into a store when someone is remaining in the coach. Very handy but not a lot of range. Its line of sight and good for up to a few miles at the most but thats usually good enough. The chart shows a much longer range (36 miles) under perfect conditions but I haven’t had much luck past a few miles even in direct line of signt.

Latest resources

Back