• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Onan 5500 generator, stops after a few seconds, shows code 41

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Because I know what to expect, I would jumper maybe 6 volts to the brushes and see if the thing produced power. I might even use a lower voltage. That would likely give a voltage way out of tolerance, so the generator should be isolated to keep damage limited. You may find the field voltage in the trouble shooting section of a field manual.
So after reading this a few times, I wanted to understand what you were suggesting.
I found this video that's on a different generator, but was informative.
From 9:00 - 10:15:
Generator End Test
Tell me if that's similar to what you're suggesting.

If so, a few follow-up questions: The brushes are easy to locate, but I'm not sure where the output leads are. How do I find those? UPDATE: Disregard! I wrote that at work. Now that I'm here at the RV, I do see the wires coming out of the rotator.

Also when you mention isolating the generator, is that similar to what he was doing in that video at 4:52?

Last edited:
Glad you found that!!!

To be clear! It has been 4 or 5 years sense I last touched the inside of any generator. The endevor was,what could be called a humanitarian effort. I am in My 70's so recollection can become cloudy at times. My efforts include many brands of generator.

That said, yes, that video was spot on to what I was saying. When isolating the generator, the idea is to avoid presenting brown out,to overvoltage conditions to the coaches electronics and components.( Unplug the house from the generator output)!!!

All generators operate on the same principles regardless of brand!!!

It wouldn't hurt. My understanding it it protects from corrosion,right?

It wouldn't hurt. My understanding it it protects from corrosion,right?
Occording to the product:
  • Improves Conductivity without Shorting, Cleans, Deoxidizes, Lubricates and Protects, Reduces Intermittent Connections
  • Reduces Arcing & RFI, Reduces Wear & Abrasion
So I figured it can't hurt.
Well now we're on vacation again. Won't be able to get back to this until next week...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back