Polishing Aluminum Wheels On Your RV

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

"EZ"

Internet Forum Junkie since there was dial up!
RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Holiday Rambler
RV Model
Ambassador
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Last year I polished the aluminum wheels on my RV. Compared to what they DID look like the results were amazing although still not quite as good as I wanted them to look. They didn't look new again that's for sure. Well, here we are a year later and my wheels are dull and lifeless again. What I did last year was a LOT of work!! I really don't want to go through that again if the shine isn't going to last very long.

Have any of you polished your own wheels and were happy with the results? What products did you use? How did you keep them shiny?

I used a cordless drill and a Meguires Power Ball. The rubbing compound I used was https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075T36GHW/?tag=rvf01-20. After the compounding was done I used 3M Polishing Compound for the shine.

Attachments

• IMG_4927.JPG
    IMG_4927.JPG
    447.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4925.JPG
    IMG_4925.JPG
    486.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4924.JPG
    IMG_4924.JPG
    430.2 KB · Views: 23
Have you tried polish wadding? Quite amazing stuff. Several makers, here's one example.
Polishes well, but protecting and saving the shine? Have you used wax? Ceramic coating? Aluminum oxidizes rapidly and requires some sort of protection from the environment.

I have Alcoa Durabright wheels which are coated and you just rinse them off. Just found the 2 outside drive wheels bad and did a little research, warranty for these wheels are 10 years from manufacture date if installed on RV’s. Reached out to both Newmar and Spartan as I wasn’t totally sure who would be responsible. Newmar said to contact Glenn’s Tire in Wakarusa, thanks Newmar for your assistance. Spartan asked for date of manufacture, contacted vendor for warranty consideration. Spartan called me that vendor would replace under warranty and where would I like them shipped? I have an appointment at Spartan Sep 9th anyway so they will be replaced then.

462653E1-1E1E-49FD-B288-E4CC29BFE272.jpeg
C10A5093-9BE7-4590-963B-4DFECC851041.jpeg

Have you tried polish wadding? Quite amazing stuff. Several makers, here's one example.
Polishes well, but protecting and saving the shine? Have you used wax? Ceramic coating? Aluminum oxidizes rapidly and requires some sort of protection from the environment.
I had some wadding. I forget the brand. It did a decent job but couldn't cut through the extreme oxidation that I had. And it took a lot of it. And you have to do it by hand. My fingers were killing me. So, I went with the power ball on the cordless drill.

I have Alcoa Durabright wheels which are coated and you just rinse them off. Just found the 2 outside drive wheels bad and did a little research, warranty for these wheels are 10 years from manufacture date if installed on RV’s. Reached out to both Newmar and Spartan as I wasn’t totally sure who would be responsible. Newmar said to contact Glenn’s Tire in Wakarusa, thanks Newmar for your assistance. Spartan asked for date of manufacture, contacted vendor for warranty consideration. Spartan called me that vendor would replace under warranty and where would I like them shipped? I have an appointment at Spartan Sep 9th anyway so they will be replaced then.

View attachment 5307View attachment 5308
Yeah, Alcoa has been making their "coated" wheels for a while now. They use them on Tractor Trailers too. (I used to sell them) I've never seen one delaminate like that though. :oops:

When it comes to flash. I soon remember why I don't like it. My truck has alu wheels but they are the silver painted ones. Clear coat is degraded with sun. No real answer I know of that does not require work to upkeep.
I am kind of like the government. I like to build but don't like to upkeep. I would try the ceramic polish, seems to last a long time and makes dirt not stick.

So, nobody has polished their wheels? No experience in this group with product recommendations? I figured everybody had this problem...... :rolleyes:

Only have used standard polishes - Wash Wax All, Rejex etc.

I haven't polished mine just washed. I need to check but I though there was a sticker on the aluminum wheels on a Newmar coach that stated do not polish. I've heard it from several Newmar owners and it should be stated somewhere. Also at the HOOTS rallies that I have attended the folks that detail coaches will not touch the wheels on a Newmar coach.

I have the wheels polished when I wash the coach, about every 6 months. I also have Alcoas and they don’t seem to ever need much more than a rinse, wipe, dry and light buff with a microfiber towel

Latest resources

Back