Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Pjm

RVF Newbee
I have a Holiday Rambler Ambassador, 2001, 36ft Diesel. I started up fine, but can’t get interior lights to work or generator or radio, basically no power inside coach. Battery master switch is on for both house and chassis. I ck’d breakers in rear of coach, all ok. Voltage meter in outlet shows zero.

has to be something simple. Any ideas? Is it something to do with inverter?

Sounds as if no12v power inside coach, cannot allowing generator to start or feeding the inverter

I would advise that you remove, clean and reinstall ALL battery connections.

I would advise that you remove, clean and reinstall ALL battery connections.
Have you checked the voltage at the batteries? That would be my first step. If they are charged (13VDC+), then I would move to the next level and check voltage there. At some point, you will find the point where voltage drops significantly and that should help you identify the problem.

You might also check the breakers on the inverter itself. If they are open, resetting them could resolve the problem. I just had this occur on our coach; one of the breakers at the inverter opened because too many things on the same circuit were in use, exceeding the current draw allowed through the breaker.

TJ

Thanks what is the potential fix! New house batteries?
Have you checked the voltage at the batteries? That would be my first step. If they are charged (13VDC+), then I would move to the next level and check voltage there. At some point, you will find the point where voltage drops significantly and that should help you identify the problem.

You might also check the breakers on the inverter itself. If they are open, resetting them could resolve the problem. I just had this occur on our coach; one of the breakers at the inverter opened because too many things on the same circuit were in use, exceeding the current draw allowed through the breaker.

TJ
thanks for the reply, I will try that. House batteries at least 5 years old of, will check breakers on inverter also.

Thanks what is the potential fix! New house batteries?
Depends on whether they will take and hold a charge.

thanks for the reply, I will try that. House batteries at least 5 years old of, will check breakers on inverter also.
Lead-acid batteries (which I presume you have) typically have a life of about 5 years; less if they have not been kept properly charged. If the coach sat for any significant amount of time without being connected to AC power, it is very likely that they have "sulphated" and will need to be replaced. Check them first to see what the voltage level is and if they will take and hold a charge. You may need to use an external charger if they are severely discharged.

TJ

Also check any ground wires bolted to the chassis. Many times they rust, and if you don’t have a ground, you have nothing.
To test the batt, the best way is to load test them one at the time. I had a new battery that showed over 12V.
But under load went to 2 Volts. If you have even one bad battery, it will draw down the rest.
All the advice from previous posts are very good.

If your batteries are good, there’s usually a fuse between batteries and inverter. If that fuse is blown, you won’t be getting any 110v in the house.

If your batteries are good, there’s usually a fuse between batteries and inverter. If that fuse is blown, you won’t be getting any 110v in the house.
Good point! That's why checking voltage at the batteries and working your way through the system is important. At some point, you will find the issue.

TJ

Latest resources

Back