Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Darachmc

RVF Newbee
Hey guys, I’m sure I’ll show my novice by asking these questions. I’m a brand new rv owner and living in it full time traveling for work. I haul a 2021 keystone passport GT series TT. I noticed when using the water heater (dometic) (on the lp setting) my pressure relief valve leaks profusely. In attempt to fix it I shut the main water off and opened the valve wide open until it stopped leaking. I did that several times without success, so I ended up draining the hot water tank, refilling it with the valve open, shutting the water off once water came out the pressure relief valve. Afterwards there was no leak so I turned the heater on and 20 minutes later I noticed a leak. I’ve read that some dripping is normal due to the water expanding but it’s a steady stream. At this point should I replace the pressure relief valve or is this a different issue? My second question is I noticed (in the picture attached) a brown discoloration above my water heater cover, the panel reads “hot” so I figured the panel itself is hot but the camper body is hot to touch, is this normal or is this cause for concern?

Attachments

• 814480E8-8CD8-4474-84E8-7E804140C56B.jpeg
    814480E8-8CD8-4474-84E8-7E804140C56B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Both issues need attention. Definitely replace the T&P valve - it should not leak at all. The excessive heat is also a concern. Maybe the thing is set too high causing both problems, but wither way I’d replace that valve.

Agreed this should be addressed soon. The pressure relief value is the easy fix. You should have the thermostat and other operating parameters checked by a factory trained tech. Most techs like to throw parts at these with no real understanding how they operate.

Latest resources

Back