DSDP 4326
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
ISL 450
TOW/TOAD
2023 Winnebago ERA 70A or 2012 Ford Taurus
I went to walmart yesterday in part to buy a couple of containers of Blue DEF. There were only six containers on the shelf and I hoisted one into my shopping cart. The container looked a little rough so I removed the cap to check the seal. There wasn’t one.

So I went back to the shelf and began checking the remaining five containers. None of them had seals that were uncompromised. One had crystallized urea all over the top from an apparent leak. I don’t know what the deal was at this particular location, but I didn’t pick up any DEF on this trip.

Always, always, always check the seal integrity before purchase.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Saturday activities.

There have been reports of people buying DEF from Walmart and returning it filled with water. There was a post on one of the RV forums about it

I use DEF at the truck stop. That's just me...I don't trust boxed DEF unless it was bought at the truck stop inside.

I get my def at OReillys, it's in a sealed box, and it's usually on sale.

Be glad to be done with the fifth wheel and the dually so I won't have to worry with it anymore.

I have gotten DEF from Walmart that turned out to be tap water. :mad: Fortunately, I discovered it before putting it in the DEF tank. Then, trying to return it was a real hassle. The clerk questioned whether I had used the DEF myself and was trying to return the container that was filled with water. I finally prevailed, but it took some persuasion. As a result, I now get my DEF at truck stop pumps.

In the rare case where I have to buy packaged DEF in a store, I do a thorough inspection of the container for an intact seal, lack of taped-over holes in the bottom, etc. Then, I check the contents with a refractometer or hydrometer before putting it in the DEF tank. Big PITA!

And, once I have emptied the container, I slash it several times with a knife to ensure that someone doesn’t refill it with water and try to return it to the store for a refund.

TJ

I have gotten DEF from Walmart that turned out to be tap water. :mad: Fortunately, I discovered it before putting it in the DEF tank. Then, trying to return it was a real hassle. The clerk questioned whether I had used the DEF myself and was trying to return the container that was filled with water. I finally prevailed, but it took some persuasion. As a result, I now get my DEF at truck stop pumps.

TJ
I had the same experience at a Walmart in Lubbock, TX about 3 years ago. I started with customer service, then to the auto department manager and finally, the store manager agreed to give me a store credit. Crazy.

As many of you know, in addition to the seal, also check the manufactured date. DEF has a variable shelf life dependent upon the temperature at which it has been stored. Anything older than a year could be suspect since that storage temperature is unknown.
As this guy explains, the Blue DEF (as an example) has a not-so-easy-to-decipher manufacture date utilizing the year+1 followed by a reverse Julian date.

I always fill at the truck stops too.

Latest resources

Back