• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

bgsnmky

RVF Newbee
HI everyone, this is my first post :)
We are working on a 14 night trip to Colorado..and trying to decide to take our T@B 320 S but are concerned if we would be limited to certain drives due to the roads etc, or not be able to pull off and park and take pictures on the scenic roads that we have planned. (we are still working on the itinerary but below the link is the proposed).

Example the trail ridge road from estes to grand lake - can we stop to take a hike - are there parking lots. At Keeblers Pass, or Cottonwood Pass, can we pull over take pictures or pull over and take a hike.

Or steep or scarey LOL

Would love input if anyone has gone this type of route or even some of it.

It took me a bit to realize the T@B 320 S is a teardrop trailer-that’s an awesome little rig! You are setup to go anywhere-sometimes those of us with big ‘ol class A DP’s get jealous. I think that’s a fantastic route but I’ve not done parts of it and can’t recollect details such as parking spots. Hopefully someone else can chime in with details to help, but enjoy that awesome trip.

Thank you. Lol.
So the parts you have done it sounds like you are saying we would be ok.

and then last night I was thinking about snow. If it hits early how would we be pulling it. Any worse then with just the car.

TBH I haven't traveled enough of that route myself to say. But it's hard to imagine why you couldn't with that rig. I would try to conclude my trip by late-Sept to keep the odds in your favor weather-wise.

Due to work reasons we can’t go until late sept. So we would be traveling this route through October 11th. Which is why I am slightly concerned about snow.
And we are from Texas which usually is ice not snow WHEN we get anything. So I am sure I am thinking more about ice etc. and the average temp during October when I looked it up is below freezing.
Now that was just average for October. I didn’t try to find the exact first 10 days in October.
if we don’t take it we thought about staying I. A campground in the truck just in a few one night stays. Just for the experience of camping.

In my experience, the chance of significant snow in the Rocky Mountains before mid-October is pretty low. Certainly, it can happen but if it does, it won't last long.

We spend the summer and fall months in Western Montana, so have some experience, though Colorado has some higher elevations. We start watching the weather about the first of October, but rarely have had any snow that sticks on the ground before November 1.

Even if it does snow, with a light rig like yours, I think you could easily move to lower elevations if you take your time and drive cautiously. Do carry tire chains for your tow vehicle, however. You probably won't need them, but they could be required by law if there is a snowfall. And, they can be very helpful.

Take your time and drive responsibly; I think you will do fine.

TJ

Any road that is not plowed in the winter have gates to block the road to travel. You won't pass a chain up pullout if chains are needed, They won't let you.

If you had a new 55 chevy, you may be on your own, but highway safety is a big thing today. Turn on your weather radio and NOAA will keep you informed of weather conditions, just as they do in Texas. Avoid routes that you get warnings on, Never a better time to change you mind than before you get in trouble.

You will be fine, First snowfall I remember was in Aug. between Grand Junction and Denver over the pass, Maybe 5000 ft. Snow lasted a day and days were to warm later in the week.

Latest resources

Back