Freightliner
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2024 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
Yes
Happy New Year all !!!!
My wife and I are looking to purchase a Newmar Dutch Star or the Ventana. My question is, if we buy new are there common issues that happen within the first 1000-5000 miles. We have heard from friends to buy one that is used with low miles so all the kinks should be fixed. Do you agree or not??? Would love to see what you think.
Thanks Dave

You will be buying with no Newmar warranty. There are generally not a lot of issues but if you buy a used one, you will have no idea if they had issues and did not fix them without a good inspection.

I will just say that the inspector we hired to go through our Newmar Superstar before we bought it (new 2022) said, from what they have seen, Newmar is top of the list as far as quality goes.

We have been very pleased with ours in the year since purchase and none of the issues kept us from using it.

You will be buying with no Newmar warranty. There are generally not a lot of issues but if you buy a used one, you will have no idea if they had issues and did not fix them without a good inspection.
We absolutely would have an inspection done regardless if it’s new or used. We have been looking at them at National Indoor here in Lewisville, TX. We heard there were kinks that needed to be addressed when you purchase a new motor coach. But based on the last two responses, I’m starting to lean towards buying new.

We absolutely would have an inspection done regardless if it’s new or used. We have been looking at them at National Indoor here in Lewisville, TX. We heard there were kinks that needed to be addressed when you purchase a new motor coach. But based on the last two responses, I’m starting to lean towards buying new.
NIRVC is thorough on the new coach PDI. Probably one of the best. I have owned several and do not get inspections. I am very handy and I make the dealer show every system working on my walk through. NIRVC also allows you to stay at the dealership a few nights to make certain all is working as it should.
Whatever you do, make sure to video the walkthrough and testing of the systems. You will be inundated with info and its best to have a video to fall back on. Also, do not pay the final amount or sign until you walk through and the systems are all working, not so much NIRVC but 95% of the other dealerships. If you need any suggestions about who to talk to at NIRVC or have any questions I can help you with, send me a message. Good luck

We purchased used, and have had no regrets. The amount you save could more than pay for an after market warranty. Just make sure besides the inspection you make sure all recalls were done both chassis, and coach.

New or used, motor homes are high maintenance items, so get used to the idea. I've owned a few of them, each one was a different brand. I'm in a Newmar London Aire now, and I made this decision mostly based on their history of producing a good product and a solid company profile.

That being said, I'm actively looking for a Foretravel now. Yes, the Fortravel is more, but not so much more that it's a deal breaker. What stands out to me, is the loyalty that Fortravel owners have, even the older ones. Spend a little time on a FB Foretravel forum and you'll find people driving 20 year old rigs that look and drive like new. And these owners will not part with them!

Your profile indicates that you are close to the Foretravel factory, so excellent support shouldn't be a problem for you. And believe me, from someone who lives a ways from civilization, good support is paramount! Given the $$ investment you are about to make, I'd take a trip to the Foretravel factory and look around.

Good luck!

We bought a used DS from NIRVC in Lewisville and have been very satisfied with them. If you do not have a salesperson I would recommend Kimberly Daly, she did a good job for us. I’m not a fan of extended warranties at all, however in this case we made an exception and are very glad we did.

The service department has been magnificent they have done an excellent job of taking care of us and our coach.

As I get older I’m more fond of buying new than of buying used.

If we were to purchase another Newmar DP the deciding factor would not be one of reliability or warranty when considering new or used. Things are going to break and wear items are going to have to be replaced no matter if your unit is a 2024 or a 2015.

Currently it appears the used RV market would benefit buyers, with not much selling. I suspect a good deal could be made on a 2 to 5 year old DP. On the other hand if new model sales are sluggish also, then it might be a good time to offer 35-40% off MSRP on a brand new model and see what happens.

We purchase new for several reasons. First is Known start date of all equipment. Second is factory CPU process.
Then there is the Newmar warranty group. There is always something going wrong on a new build as items settle into place over the miles. It is nice to have someone that is familiar with the brand and can get build details quickly on the phone almost immediately.
This Saturday spoke with Mary on the DutchStar battery charging issue. She knew precisely where the BIM is hidden on the 4311, knew what tools you needed to access the BIM and had a recommendation for mobile service. Mobile service group that knew her by name.
Until you get to know a coach it is nice to have this support.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back