Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I am replacing my emergency exit window in the bedroom. Have you ever looked at the window and wonder if you could fit in the window and get out of the coach in a emergency situation? We removed the window yesterday, and it dawned on me, there is no way I would fit my large body into that small opening trying to get out. I am sure it is required by law, but if it won't work for some percentage of RV owners, why not make it bigger so one could fit through the opening? I am grateful for the egress door in the rear bath as my escape option in an emergency.

This is why Newmar did a wonderful thing in adding the egress door in the bathroom. I hope every manufacturer follows suit.

Exactly right, @Neal! The emergency egress door is absolutely essential in a motorhome; at least in a motorhome that I own and use! That said, adrenaline is a fantastic motivator for getting out of an exit window. :ROFLMAO:

TJ

I figure I could fit thru a keyhole if my life depended on it. ;)

If one owns a gasser, I guess one has to be lean.

I keep my Stihl chainsaw gassed up under the bed for just this reason.
I don't know if your serious or just kidding, but that's not a bad idea. I've often considered my options if there was a fire between the bedroom and the door up front. And these gas refrigerators are known for being dangerous.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of having to get my wife out the emergency window and then toss out a couple of German Shepherds behind her. And do this while in the dark, breathing burning plastic generated smoke, and fighting ever growing anxiety. I'd say my chances of success are on the lower side.

You guys with an exit door in the bathroom have a shot at it but I'm pretty sure that me, being in the back of a burning tube with realistically no way our, would be in serious trouble.

I don't know if your serious or just kidding, but that's not a bad idea...

I was not serious and I didn’t meant to make light of your concern. Apologies if I caused any offense.

They say you can either laugh or cry in tough situations. I’m definitely a laugher and always have been. Just how I cope.

in all seriousness, if you’re that concerned about it I’d first think about the following alternatives:
1. Ask newmar to price out installing an emergency egress door for you. They might be willing to do it.
2. Ask Newmar to price out increasing the size of that window if there is room for a bigger one that would work but it’s just too small currently.
3. A chainsaw would be a last resort imo. I’m not sure how well it would work but it’s better than nothing. My biggest concern would be in a moment of panic, waving it around frantically and causing an injury or death, racking you with guilt for the rest of your life if you made it out.

If Newmar says no to the first two options, I’d ask a custom card shop. I’m sure many could do it.

@MapNerd, I'm just 3rd party here but I don't think he or anyone took offense to your humor but instead took it as not a bad idea. Don't sweat it my friend, I think you're reading too far into it, your post was good.

P.S. Read his info on the left side, he's driving a Tiffin, doubt Newmar will help :) You seem deprived of :coffee: lately

Now why not use what some fighter jets use on the canopies to blow them apart prior to ejection. You could have some of that cool detonating ribbon stuff in just the right place.

Ribbons that say “Remove before sleeping”?

Latest resources

Back