• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Push Button Start

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
This is something that must have been added after the fact. No NEWMAR coach comes from the factory that way. You might want to check the service history on your coach, as this is not right.
I just realized the confusion I had with @Dona40 . The coach they own is not a newmar, which I assumed it was since we where discussing a newmar motorhome push to start operation. I guess THOR uses both systems.

If my coach had both systems, I would not see the point of the push to start either.

Yeah, our DX40 came from the factory that way. They advertised the first coach with that feature. I say big deal;) I was just commenting on the system itself.

I haven't had a diesel with push to start...got me thinking....on my Escalade, one puts their foot on the brake, then pushes the Start button and the ECU takes over and starts the engine (gas). So, is the brake requirement also in place for diesels? And...when you push the Start button...does your foot have to remain on the brake until the pre-heater is hot and ready to crank? Or with air brakes...is there a brake push requirement needed at all? Questions, Questions....

Last edited:
The controls that go Digital provide less “feel”. Analog controls provide much more feel.
For instance the 2017 Vw controls the starter and other functions digitally. Once the battery reaches a certain low voltage the starter refuses to energize. No warning, no indication the battery is getting low. Just stops.

Push button things undoubtedly are run by a Chip of sorts.

Not a fan of loosing that “feel” regarding how things operate.

The controls that go Digital provide less “feel”. Analog controls provide much more feel.
For instance the 2017 Vw controls the starter and other functions digitally. Once the battery reaches a certain low voltage the starter refuses to energize. No warning, no indication the battery is getting low. Just stops.

Push button things undoubtedly are run by a Chip of sorts.

Not a fan of loosing that “feel” regarding how things operate.
Other than a "key" that is smaller and less pointy to stab you in the pocket, I don't see much value to push to start. It would be a little bit more secure, but thankfully I live in the woods and don't worry too much about theft.
re: more "feel" for the start...the assumption is the vehicle is operating normally / correctly so not a whole lot of value to "feel".
Now if you were talking about autonomous driving vs. conventional...then yeah, lots off difference there.
For the majority who have no idea of how things work, then Push to start is nice...the ECUs are a whole lot smarter than most all drivers and are monitoring just about all the key systems - which all drivers aren't.

They had "push button start" in the 1930's. Only the "button" was in the floor and you pushed it with your foot after turning the ignition switch on. In later years it was a redneck repair. When for some reason the ignition switch in the column quit working and the owner didn't feel like doing a proper repair involving a teardown of the steering column they would often just add a button switch to bypass the original setup. A very popular modification on old farm trucks.
In later years manufacturers decided computer controls should override what the operator commanded during engine cranking to some degree. In my wife's old Buick turning the key only signaled to the computer that she wanted to start the engine. If something was determined to be wrong, nothing happened. If for some reason the engine was slow to start, the computer would keep cranking it even if you let off the key. Because she was never actually "cranking" it with the key switch in the first place.
The next fashionable step was to eliminate the key, since with various electrical bits locking down the car it really wasn't having much function anyway. So a fob to let the computer know you were the vehicle owner (hopefully) and a button to let it know you wanted to use your machine. The downside to this is since there was no longer any mechanical interaction, thieves could simply steal your stuff by fooling the computer. I see where Toyota (for one) has decided to go retro on this and their latest layer of vehicle security is an actual physical key that has to be mechanically used in the car. I can see this as foiling an entire generation of modern car thieves. The same ones who are stymied by a car having a manual transmission.
In short, push buttons are just about style. Providing the same functionality as about any other setup. You can start some vehicles with your cellphone from miles away. Because in any modern vehicle you aren't starting it anyway. You are merely communicating to its computer in some fashion or another that you want it to start.

I haven't had a diesel with push to start...got me thinking....on my Escalade, one puts their foot on the brake, then pushes the Start button and the ECU takes over and starts the engine (gas). So, is the brake requirement also in place for diesels? And...when you push the Start button...does your foot have to remain on the brake until the pre-heater is hot and ready to crank? Or with air brakes...is there a brake push requirement needed at all? Questions, Questions....
On mine, Park (air) brake needs to be set and the FOB in/around the drivers seat. Nothing else special to do. Just push the button and wait for it to start, 5 seconds or so depending on ambient temperature.

On mine, Park (air) brake needs to be set and the FOB in/around the drivers seat. Nothing else special to do. Just push the button and wait for it to start, 5 seconds or so depending on ambient temperature.
cool, simple. Thanx.

Latest resources

Back