• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Recs for "All Weather" Travel-Trailer

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
All modern travel trailers have a plate on them that states gvw, Use that as a guide not what a salesperson might say.

looking at a trailer can tell you a lot without the tag. 5 lug axles have 3500 lbs capacity, tandem 7000 capacity. next step up is a 5000 lbs axle. likely 6 lug. equalizer hitch will keep your truck level.

You will not take much with you if you go with single axle, you will however get slightly better gas mileage.

talking about gas mileage, my truck has a mileage meter. Never had one before. I move the rig every 14 days, roughly 1 to 200 miles per move. The rest of the mileage is truck only. While hauling my average drops to 14 mpg before moving again my mileage is up to 18 mpg again (the advantage to new trucks). I reset the meter before travel season as I set out. The numbers are discouraging (11.5 mpg) for the first leg but after the average of tow and travel without trailer come in, I am a happy camper.

Any vehicle with a tow hitch (or can have a hitch added) can tow a RV. You have to find the right match. I've seen some super small, they come in all sizes. Know your parameters and see what you can pair to your vehicle.

I can't believe I'd ever recommend someone go to McGeorge's Camping World in Ashland, VA as I despise them (service side) and will never do business with them again BUT they have huge inventory. Knowing you're an hour to hour and a half away from them you may want to drive up and spend a half day to day and learn from what they suggest. Then go buy it somewhere else.

All modern travel trailers have a plate on them that states gvw, Use that as a guide not what a salesperson might say.

Thank you I will try. It was very discouraging and I am on my own etc. so it’s even more ??? and all that.

you will do fine. Believe it or not life is much easier in RV rather than stick and brick. When I bought my Catalina 30 sailboat everyone told me no matter what, give it a year. Most times one year is a good estimate for adjusting to a new life style. Take your time to buy so the choice is a good one and you will likely never look back.

My husband and I pick up our Sun Lite 16BH this weekend. We are excited to use it! There are so many features. Our version has both awnings, the overhead bunk/storage area, single basin sink, 3 burner cooktop with oven, Wineguard HDTV antennae, plus the off-road/tow package. So many amenities are included with the Sun Lite 16BH including solar and backup camera prep, outside shower, inside and outside speakers, sturdy entrance step (important for our older dog), TV prep, microwave, separate (and good sized!) fridge and freezer, and so much more! The dry weight is only 2,480 lbs, so you might want to look at a longer model since you can tow more. Our length has a full bed (and a small wardrobe closet), but you get a queen with the 18 ft model (and 2 closets). Good luck with your search. It took us almost a year to find what we were REALLY looking for. I hope this info helps.

Latest resources

Back