Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Replacing Convection Oven w/ Range Hood - bad idea?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

MapNerd

RVF 1K Club
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4326
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Ford F-150
Fulltimer
Yes
Alright, so we actually tried to handle this in our specials because we knew it would be a problem but Newmar denied us. Our issue is the convection microwave. Specifically, it’s location directly above the cooktop. We hate it there. It gives us no visibility into the cooktop. I’m 5’10 and DW is 5’6”. So we’re average height I’d say. Anyway, we suspected we'd not like it there and figured Newmar wouldn't move the oven for us (we should have asked, but didn't). Instead, the special we requested and were denied for was to reduce the depth of that entire set of cabinets in the kitchen so that the back of convection oven would have been right up against the sidewall. Anyway, they said no and we figured we'd just live with it. Three months into full-time living in this thing, we have decided we can't live with it. The location of that thing is awful. There’s no seeing into the pot without crouching down.

So here’s what I’m thinking. Perhaps we can remove the convection microwave and install a traditional, 30” range hood in its place. I've measured it out, its a standard depth and width and there are tons of range hood that will fit just fine. We think this might require some help from Newmar though because the cabinetry behind and to the right of the convection oven is unfinished. So if we removed it and installed a range fan, that's all got to be finished out. We also felt that if we did it, we'd probably want that overhang to the right trimmed up to be flush with the bottom of the range hood.

Here's the current layout vs our envisioned layout:
kitchen-layout-1.png

BUT WAIT! There's more! Then we were thinking about it and realizing, you know we like having the oven. We probably use it 1-2 times/week so it does come in handy. So how can we keep the oven? Now, there is the option of just getting a counter-top toaster model which would be fine but not ideal. We wanted to see if we could just integrate it somewhere else. So then we came up with the crazy idea of moving the dishwasher under the sink and moving the oven where the dishwasher is. The problem then is that the 30" convection oven doesn't fit where the 23 3/8" dishwasher sits.

BUT! There are several 24" electric convection ovens that could fit. So maybe we could just put a 24" convection oven there. But then we'd need Newmar to make another external vent un the sidewall for that oven, which seems trivial. The last problem is the plumbing under the sink. It would all need to be reworked to give the dishwasher clearance but it could be done. Of course the cabinet faces would also require modifications and that's probably where the real money gets spent, which gets us to something like:
kitchen-layout-2.png

Now, you might also be thinking, well that's an awful lot of storage space to lose, but we did gain storage space by replacing the jackknife sofa with cabinets.
What we think we're going to do is run the proposal by Newmar. For just installing the 30" range hood and finishing out the cabinetry in the first proposals, we think that's probably a minor thing and easy to do and they'll be agreeable to doing it.The second proposal, we expect to either hear them tell us that its unworkable because of x, y, and z, or they'll send us a quote and the price will make it unworkable.

In any case, I'd love to hear the thoughts of others on this forum. Is this a bad idea? Is there something we're not thinking of? Does the convection microwave location bother you too?

I'm still digesting the above but I don't think there is any bad idea in this equation. You are making your kitchen what you want it to be and when you find that layout you are making your home even better for you and the family. While the gears are still turning one thought came to mind and that is your electrical configuration. If you're going to do this kind of work you may want to consider having both shore power lines L1 and L2 wired in so you can use 240V appliances. Newmar only uses one line via the inverter path to the Microwave so you can use the Microwave on battery (and hence solar). If you're going to do some major work here you may want this off of the inverter path and on the GEN/Shore Power path and get 240V in play. I may not have a clue what I'm talking about so others can chime in but I know when it comes to the GE Advantium just for example or a high end KitchenAid Microwave of the same, to really get the good stuff you need 240V. So just want to throw that idea out to you as well. The same electrical condition occurs with the induction cooktop where you cannot use both sides on level 10 due to the electrical setup. If you get two lines run into it and change out the cooktop such as to two singles or a 240V unit, you get a better cooktop setup on 240V as well.

What is in the space above your current oven? Is it possible that you could just move the oven upwards? Could give you the visibility you need for your cooktop.

If it works for you, then it is fine. You might want to consider the potential effect on resale/trade-in, however. How many others would find this arrangement as convenient as you do? Having the convection/microwave down that low might not be convenient for potential buyers. It wouldn't be for us. Same with losing the under-sink storage space. Just something to think about.

TJ

What is in the space above your current oven? Is it possible that you could just move the oven upwards? Could give you the visibility you need for your cooktop.
Unfortunately there's a big bulk head behind that cabinet. Apparently there are some slide mechanics in that bulk head. It runs the entire length of the kitchen slide and the cabinets all have the bulk head running through them. That particular cabinet is all bulk head, save for maybe 4" of depth. It's almost useless except for spices and such.

Why not buy the individual induction plates and put the where you want when cooking?

How many others would find this arrangement as convenient as you do? Having the convection/microwave down that low might not be convenient for potential buyers. It wouldn't be for us. Same with losing the under-sink storage space. Just something to think about.
Those thoughts did cross my mind, but I figured if someone were buying my coach, then obviously they're buying used and folks tend to make more compromises in that market than the new market. My thought was basically, its a net-zero when it comes to storage because we gained storage by adding the cabinets ILO the jackknife sofa. But you're right, certainly would make my coach a little more "special".

Why not buy the individual induction plates and put the where you want when cooking?
The only location with enough space to use them without being in the same situation due to the depth over the OHC would be the sink, as it pops out a little further. But then you have to put the sink covers on and in doing so, lose access to the sink. Could also do it on the counter top above our cabinets where the jackknife sofa would have been, but that counter top is a little lower, so we're crouching again.

Seems just a matter of picking my poison...

Hmmm. LadyDi informs me that there are under-counter, drawer-style convection/microwave units that are loaded from the top rather than the front. Are you aware of them? It might resolve the issue of the unit being inconvenient because it is too low to conveniently see into. Since you would need to buy a new convection/microwave to fit in the dishwasher space, that might be an option.

TJ

I've got a top load microwave in the S&B that is in one of the island cabinets. The one I have is made by Sharp, but other manufacturers license the zapper from Sharp and add their own controls and brand it as such. Works great as I don't have it over the stove top and it isn't on the countertop. It's a standard 24" width so suspect it would fit right in the F&P dishwasher opening. The only thing I don't know is if it's a convection microwave or if one of the other manufacturers makes a convection option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back