Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Danamos1

RVF Newbee
I own a 2005 Gulf Stream BT Cruzier 2750. The Domectic 2005 Perquin 2 air conditioner needs to be replaced. Is there any reason why a Dometic Brisk 2 couldn't be substituted for a Penquin 2? Less expensive and both have a 15,000 BTU capacity and 13.2 amp draw. 12 guage wire is run from a 20 amp circuit breaker and a 6 wire harness for the thermostat is run. Any thoughts????

I can't think of any reason they couldn't be swapped. They both fit in a 14" hole with four bolts to secure it. Wiring may be different on the t'stat side, but shouldn't take much to figure out. 120V side is the same for both.

The only things I can think of is to be certain the new unit is controlled the same way, either by thermostat or manual control and either ducted or non ducted. As long as you match those things you will be fine. If by chance the thermostat doesn't work with the new unit, it might need to be changed also. I'm thinking that since they are the same manufacture the thermostat will not need to be changed. Its a simple swap. I've changed or added about 4 ac units and aside from lifting them its very simple

The only things I can think of is to be certain the new unit is controlled the same way, either by thermostat or manual control and either ducted or non ducted. As long as you match those things you will be fine. If by chance the thermostat doesn't work with the new unit, it might need to be changed also. I'm thinking that since they are the same manufacture the thermostat will not need to be changed. Its a simple swap. I've changed or added about 4 ac units and aside from lifting them its very simple
Thank you for a great response. I really don't see either why it wouldn't work. Have a 4000 watt Onan generator which should power it easily.

KR, I just bought a 2013 Roadco. I started a thread about rv extended service policies. I want to ask you have you had to replace multi a/c units on the same rig? How many years do a/c units last? And lastly have you had to replace any other major appliances,and how long did they last before you had to replace? I'm a newbie and need all the advice and knowledge I can find.
Thanks in advance
TB

KR, I just bought a 2013 Roadco. I started a thread about rv extended service policies. I want to ask you have you had to replace multi a/c units on the same rig? How many years do a/c units last? And lastly have you had to replace any other major appliances,and how long did they last before you had to replace? I'm a newbie and need all the advice and knowledge I can find.
Thanks in advance
TB
I changed one on an old work truck. It was about 15 years old and still cooled but not good. I helped a friend change one that acted the same way on a 6 year old camper. Both probably went bad from sitting long periods, maybe years without use and both probably could have lasted much longer with more frequent use. Ive added a second unit in my old 5th wheel and I also added an ac to an enclosed trailer that didn’t have one. I have had to change two fan motors and one fan assembly in AC units. In my 14 history running these AC units, I’d say they are pretty tough. They are sealed so usually they don’t leak and I think that using them is better than letting them sit for long periods. I haven’t had many other major issues other than the power control board went bad in my old refer, water inlet valves went bad on an all in one washer/ dryer, and some of the older propane furnaces can be a pain to keep running. Ive changed two furnaces over 14 years. IMHO extended service agreements aren’t worth the money. I have purchased them before and never felt like I got my moneys worth. I also realize that the dealer offers them to every purchaser to make money and they must make more than they lose or they would quit selling them. I would say that if you can afford to pay for some repairs its probably better to keep some saved in case rather than pay for repairs you may not need. If you can do the work yourself, you are much better off. Most dealers don’t want to help you after the purchase anyway so you will need to learn how to do some minor repairs and maybe a few major. Most repairs are pretty simple if you take your time. There’s plenty of videos on youtube to help And plenty of people here that would offer advice who have probably been through most anything you are going to come up against

I changed one on an old work truck. It was about 15 years old and still cooled but not good. I helped a friend change one that acted the same way on a 6 year old camper. Both probably went bad from sitting long periods, maybe years without use and both probably could have lasted much longer with more frequent use. Ive added a second unit in my old 5th wheel and I also added an ac to an enclosed trailer that didn’t have one. I have had to change two fan motors and one fan assembly in AC units. In my 14 history running these AC units, I’d say they are pretty tough. They are sealed so usually they don’t leak and I think that using them is better than letting them sit for long periods. I haven’t had many other major issues other than the power control board went bad in my old refer, water inlet valves went bad on an all in one washer/ dryer, and some of the older propane furnaces can be a pain to keep running. Ive changed two furnaces over 14 years. IMHO extended service agreements aren’t worth the money. I have purchased them before and never felt like I got my moneys worth. I also realize that the dealer offers them to every purchaser to make money and they must make more than they lose or they would quit selling them. I would say that if you can afford to pay for some repairs its probably better to keep some saved in case rather than pay for repairs you may not need. If you can do the work yourself, you are much better off. Most dealers don’t want to help you after the purchase anyway so you will need to learn how to do some minor repairs and maybe a few major. Most repairs are pretty simple if you take your time. There’s plenty of videos on youtube to help And plenty of people here that would offer advice who have probably been through most anything you are going to come up against
Thanks for the come back. You put my mind at ease. Do you think RV repair club is worth it for their videos? I'm mechanical but not that good with wood working, ok with plumbing and elec..

Thanks for the come back. You put my mind at ease. Do you think RV repair club is worth it for their videos? I'm mechanical but not that good with wood working, ok with plumbing and elec..
I don’t know what they are but there are tons of free videos about rv repair on YouTube so if you have to pay them I’d say no

Latest resources

Back