• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Revisiting the BlackVue DR900S dash cam

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@Neal I tried the double lock 3m product on a different home mod and i want to confirm this is strong enough to hold the dash cam going down a rough road?

I use it for the dashcam in my toad as the sticky stuff that came with the dashcam would never hold up. It hasn't come off to date. The 3M latch stuff is strong!

OK...once again, this project has worked its way to the top of my to-do list here in Polson. In looking at mounting locations, I find that putting it just below the tint stripe at the top of the windshield, as some have suggested, moves it above the wiper line. Mounted in that location, whenever we encountered rain, the camera would be looking through water. I'm thinking that's not the ideal situation.

In order to get the camera within the wiper area, it would have to be mounted at least 15" below the tint line on our 2018 MADP. That would put it in the middle of the view area when we are parked at our site here in Polson; certainly LadyDi's preferred location.

So, I'm thinking of moving the mounting location down to just above the dash. Has anyone mounted theirs down low? Are there issues to doing so that I haven't considered? And, does the camera need to be mounted centered side-to-side? Are their any issues with mounting it somewhat closer to the driver side?

Why does life have to get this complicated?

TJ

What percentage of your driving since your VTLE has been in the rain?

In all seriousness, obviously it's personal preference. My preference is out of sight and out of mind. Even when raining it's highly unlikely that it will affect the view that much. I posted a video once on this site of me running over an object and that was with rain. It wasn't that bad. I would not want it mid-window, it's ugly including wire. I didn't care for it at the bottom which is also out of wiper range but also provides less of an overall picture IMHO.

Although not he same unit as yours I mounted mine low in between the wiper blades. I find that when in rain the blades moving thru the viewing area is not very noticeable. I included pic of where I mounted and a screen shot of vieW. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• 40E3AE67-7A6F-43DE-A88A-9634F5469D73.jpeg
    40E3AE67-7A6F-43DE-A88A-9634F5469D73.jpeg
    537.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 0AB12151-B7C2-47DA-AE03-6E6587CE1A08.jpeg
    0AB12151-B7C2-47DA-AE03-6E6587CE1A08.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 24
Keep in mind that this camera, at least in my coach is "always on" and therefore serves as a security camera in the CG, other uses while driving. I also have a 2CH BlackVue in the toad with the gadget that allows it to stay on until the voltage gets to a certain level or a timer value, however configured, so my toad is always recording front/back as well, for security.

Keep in mind that this camera, at least in my coach is "always on" and therefore serves as a security camera in the CG, other uses while driving. I also have a 2CH BlackVue in the toad with the gadget that allows it to stay on until the voltage gets to a certain level or a timer value, however configured, so my toad is always recording front/back as well, for security.
Same setup on my coach and toad for same reason.

Well, we finally got it done! The BlackVue 900S is mounted just below the tint line on the windshield.
DashCam-1.JPG

The power cable was run up to and across the top facia plate to the pillar, and down a circuitous path to a new 12VDC socket* I installed alongside the existing J-1939 diagnostic port socket. It was a snug press fit, so I didn't bother securing it with screws. Power came from one of the existing 12VDC sockets in the center console and was run to the new socket with 14AWG red/black Zip cord.

DashCam-2.JPG

* Amazon.com: Polarlander 12/24V Outlet Marine Boat Caravan Car Cigarette Lighter Splitter Power Socket Adapter Connector: Automotive

The new socket is switched with a L-Series "Dash Cam" rocker switch from the OTR Switch Guys: High quality Carling Technologies custom laser-etched rocker switches, using Carling Technologies L-Series line of rockers and switches

DashCam-3.JPG

It took a bit of fiddling to get the camera connected to the BlackVue app and the settings where I wanted them. In the end, it all seems to work as advertised.

TJ

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back