Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
I bought this unit a few months back and it has finally worked its way to near the top of my to-do list. In an earlier thread, some folks indicated that they had mounted the unit down low (just above the dash surface) and others indicated mounting it up high (just under the tint line). I'm assuming that both options were mounted to the glass.

How difficult would it be to remove it from the glass if I wanted to move it or, heaven forbid, I needed to replace the windshield? And how hard/easy to get the mount properly leveled? My experience with similar kinds of mounts tells me that when it touches the glass, it ain't easy to make an adjustment. What say?

I've been giving some thought to an alternative to mounting on the glass. The actual dash surface is pebbled and probably wouldn't provide a good grip for adhesive. And, I'm not thrilled thinking what might happen to the dash surface if I ever heeded to remove he mount. So, I have designed and fabricated an aluminum mounting plate that would clamp to the dash surface via a couple of the vent holes. If this actually gets used, I will provide more detail.

My question regarding using this alternative mount is how sensitive the dash cam would be to vibration. While the mount I am considering would be clamped firmly to the dash surface. I doubt it would be quite as solid a mount as having the actual camera mount bonded to the glass. Am I tilting at windmills here?

TJ

Great question @TJ&LadyDi.
I have the same one and not sure where and I sure want to be able to remove the mount. Are you going to hardwire into a 12v line? I am also wondering about how to run the wire especially up high how do you get behind the A pillar plastic cover down the side? Will share what ever I can find out.

@TJ&LadyDi - you sir are procrastinating! Mount the CAMERA!!! Post pictures of completed job by the end of the day or you will be placed on poptart restriction!

You want this mounted rock solid so you don't have vibration, it should be mounted to the glass, nowhere else, and no, Lady Di is not going to hold it while driving.

It is easily removed such as for windshield replacement, I did it, so can you.

When you adhere it make sure to clean the glass properly with ISO alceehawl (watch Moonshiners to understand) so it doesn't fall off! Carefully place i.e. make sure it's frickin level, and mount just below the blue tint because that's how Neal did it.

Now if you have a problem with the camera staying adhered as I had issues with in the toad installation (which I'm sure you too will do) then I suggest not using the manufactured booger glue they give you and instead use the 3M hook velcro thingamabob which is my go to for good adhesion yet removable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083M9Q1N3/?tag=rvf01-20

Standing by for completion report...

@TJ&LadyDi - you sir are procrastinating! Mount the CAMERA!!! Post pictures of completed job by the end of the day or you will be placed on poptart restriction!

You want this mounted rock solid so you don't have vibration, it should be mounted to the glass, nowhere else, and no, Lady Di is not going to hold it while driving.

It is easily removed such as for windshield replacement, I did it, so can you.

When you adhere it make sure to clean the glass properly with ISO alceehawl (watch Moonshiners to understand) so it doesn't fall off! Carefully place i.e. make sure it's frickin level, and mount just below the blue tint because that's how Neal did it.

Now if you have a problem with the camera staying adhered as I had issues with in the toad installation (which I'm sure you too will do) then I suggest not using the manufactured booger glue they give you and instead use the 3M hook velcro thingamabob which is my go to for good adhesion yet removable.

Amazon.com: 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener SJ3560 250 Clear, 1 in x 4 Ft with Bonus Scotch 1406 Household Scissors

Standing by for completion report...
Oh, @Neal; you are priceless! Without realizing it, you gave me the perfect out.

I really like the idea of the 3M hook&loop fastener you provided a link to. It would appear repositionable to a certain extend if things weren't properly aligned to begin with. And, it can be removed. That's the ideal solution.

And, I especially liked your suggestion of not using the adhesive provided by BlackVue. That would be a HUGE mistake, according to my installation guru.

Both great suggestions and I will be following them to the letter...sometime later in June.

Why the delay (OK, "procrastination)? Well, the absolutely essential 3M fastener material is "not eligible for Prime" and the earliest delivery date is "June 8-11." We are leaving the sticks&bricks on...wait for it...June 7 for Oregon (RV service at Guaranty RV) and then heading to Polson. We will arrive in Polson on...wait for it...June 11! I'll order the 3M stuff and have it delivered to Polson after June 11.

Don't you love it when a plan comes together so perfectly? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TJ

@TJ&LadyDi I might have another out for you in delaying install. Not sure how much 3m you would need but I have exactly 3” piece you can have for free, delivery in Polson June 12th?

@TJ&LadyDi I might have another out for you in delaying install. Not sure how much 3m you would need but I have exactly 3” piece you can have for free, delivery in Polson June 12th?
Thanks, Bill. I went ahead and ordered a roll of the stuff since I will probably use it for other things.

TJ

I'm sure you too will do) then I suggest not using the manufactured booger glue they give you and instead use the 3M hook velcro thingamabob which is my go to for good adhesion yet removable.

@Neal I tried the double lock 3m product on a different home mod and i want to confirm this is strong enough to hold the dash cam going down a rough road?

Latest resources

Back