• Commercial/Vendors welcome

RV GPS

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Simple answer is a Garmin RV GPS system. It's very important to make sure you get a RV specific system, it allows you to put all of the dimensions of your RV in so it can route you accordingly. It will keep you off roads you should not be on in the first place. This will have a library of most anything a RV'r might need. If I was a truck driver I'd get the ones designed for trucker. It's library is built to accommodate a trucker not a RV'r.

Garmin has several sizes to fit your needs and budget.
This ^^^ plus a good quality road atlas.

Just wondering...although I'm considering purchasing the Garmin 890, I'm a bit apprehensive about mounting it in my view range. To be honest, when I drive a don't take my eyes off the road (or I hear the wake up bumps 🤔). Anyone mount it for use by the co-pilot ? She tells me what to do anyway, but this way she'll have real data on her side. Thoughts ? Blessings

I have the same Garmin as you. We just purchased our coach, it’s a 2019 Dutch Star. When I tried to use it, it did not talk to me out loud. I tuned the volume up and still nothing. What am I doing g wrong, any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Dave

I have the same Garmin as you. We just purchased our coach, it’s a 2019 Dutch Star. When I tried to use it, it did not talk to me out loud. I tuned the volume up and still nothing. What am I doing g wrong, any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Dave
You do not indicate which of us you are referring to so we cannot tell which one you have. Can you tell us which model Garmin you have?

Thanks Dave
You do not indicate which of us you are referring to so we cannot tell which one you have. Can you tell us which model Garmin you have?
we have the RV795. Sorry about that.

Thanks Dave
Try the different voices, on our 1090 some didn't work.

Just wondering...although I'm considering purchasing the Garmin 890, I'm a bit apprehensive about mounting it in my view range. To be honest, when I drive a don't take my eyes off the road (or I hear the wake up bumps 🤔). Anyone mount it for use by the co-pilot ? She tells me what to do anyway, but this way she'll have real data on her side. Thoughts ? Blessings
I have the RV890 and mount it low on the windshield using the suction cup just above the dash right between myself and the co-pilot so we can both see it. She can give me the heads up on what's coming ahead and I only look at it when I'm going down a long stretch of straight road. Works for us and I really only look at it when off the highway so there's usually a time I can look especially at a stop light.

I have the RV890 and mount it low on the windshield using the suction cup just above the dash right between myself and the co-pilot so we can both see it. She can give me the heads up on what's coming ahead and I only look at it when I'm going down a long stretch of straight road. Works for us and I really only look at it when off the highway so there's usually a time I can look especially at a stop light.
I have the exact same unit, mounted in the same area and the visibility is great. But I have a hate/love relationship with the 890. With respect to all the bells and whistles, it is awesome. But I can count on one hand the number of times this thing has actually picked the correct route on its own. I have never, repeat NEVER, gone on a long trip where this unit didn't pick the absolutely worst route possible. But I own it, so I make the best of it.

First, I plot out my course on RV Life Trip Wizard so I can see exactly where I'm going on a large display. I can easily zoom in on areas of the trip, check out the parks I want to visit, and make any trip guidance changes I may need. Then I copy that trip over to the Garman, and at that time, the Garman will excel.

But again, if I had asked the Garman to pick the best route, I can absolutely guarantee that it will be wrong to some degree. It might not be a big deal, but then again, it may be a huge deal. Even coming into Silver Spring, FL a couple months ago, the Garman took me almost 10 miles out of the way and sent me through a small (and tight) area of Ocala, when there was clearly a straight shot from 75 over to 40 and then a couple miles to the resort.

I'll be leaving Silver Springs on Tuesday, and for kicks/grin, I asked the 890 to pick the route. Again, it chose the wrong one. The 890 wanted me to take 40, through Ocala to 301 and then up to 326 and then over to 75. A quick view of RV Trip Wizard shows that 326, which is just down the road a bit, will take you up to 75 quickly, avoiding any of the city of Ocala and all the drama that comes with it. So yeah, great for everything EXCEPT for picking the best route.

YMMV :)

Now that you mention it, I was heading over to Elberta AL a couple days ago and the 890 routed me through Pensacola instead of bypassing it. I guess it picked the shortest route but not necessarily the best or fastest route. Certainly not the route I would have chosen, but I got to my destination without hitting any low bridges so it was a win.

I like your method and will try that when we depart at the end of the month.

Latest resources

Back