Fleetwood
RV Model
Discovery
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
ISC 8.3
Looking for recommendation for RV specific GPS. Need stand alone GPS not an I phone app etc. Currently have old Rand McNally Rv unit but getting time to replace. Thanks!

I think of all the stand alone units you will find the Garmin line of RV specific units your best option and most recommended. No gps is perfect, but Garmin is very well reviewed here. I personally use the 890 in a heads-up install (right behind my steering wheel so I can see it without taking my eyes off of the road ahead of me. Works great for me, but we also use a phone running google maps as a backup. When they disagree i will usually go with the garmin routing as it has the height/weight restrictions built in to the routing instructions.

Looking for recommendation for RV specific GPS. Need stand alone GPS not an I phone app etc. Currently have old Rand McNally Rv unit but getting time to replace. Thanks!
DEZL Line of Garmin are for trucking. They will do the job. I have a 570 model.

We use a Garmin 780 I think, some newer versions are out now. It’s an RV version and has work for us. Andrea sometimes uses an iPhone as well. I’m not sure how we did this before gps. 😂😂.

I purchased the 1095 Garmin, it is too big, even for a DutchStar. It has been relegated to pretrip planning on a table. Great info and routing but way too much info and warnings for in motion for me.

I have an iPad Pro mounted on the dash. Big enough to see any app map you choose to use. Just make sure you have cell and Wi-Fi on it.

Garmin is the best HOWEVER don’t trust it without verification meaning look in a truckers atlas or on google earth to make sure the road is passable and safe for you. The gps technology is very good but not perfect.

GARMIN is the way to go. Like Joe Hogan, I have a Garmin 1095, and absolutely love it. Bigger screen, & easy to read. Plug in the information on your "RV" and it will help guide you in your trip routing & calculations!
As a back-up, I have my previous Garmin 770, also a great unit, but a much smaller screen!
We will use Google Maps to verify our route, and check for any discrepancies. Also, we use WAZE, when there are traffic jams, accidents, etc.
We too, have a Truckers Atlas, as a reference, & have used Google Earth to verify the roads are passable, & reasonably safe!

We have a Garmin RV795 and really like it. Put in your unit information and it will route you accordingly. It has not misrouted us yet although we have only used it for 3 thousand or so miles so far. You also have the option to use it without the RV information and it will route you for just your tow vehicle as if it was a car.

GPS & phone mount with flash.jpg

Simple answer is a Garmin RV GPS system. It's very important to make sure you get a RV specific system, it allows you to put all of the dimensions of your RV in so it can route you accordingly. It will keep you off roads you should not be on in the first place. This will have a library of most anything a RV'r might need. If I was a truck driver I'd get the ones designed for trucker. It's library is built to accommodate a trucker not a RV'r.

Garmin has several sizes to fit your needs and budget.

Latest resources

Back