• Commercial/Vendors welcome

RV GPS

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Looking for recommendation for RV specific GPS. Need stand alone GPS not an I phone app etc. Currently have old Rand McNally Rv unit but getting time to replace. Thanks!
Here is a link to some comparisons. I find it interesting in the "Cons" area about the 890, that they quote "A few customers found the directions to be unreliable and occasionally inaccurate."

I guess that means me and 2 other people. :)

5 Best Navigation Systems - Mar. 2024 - BestReviews

Here is a link to some comparisons. I find it interesting in the "Cons" area about the 890, that they quote "A few customers found the directions to be unreliable and occasionally inaccurate."

I guess that means me and 2 other people. :)

5 Best Navigation Systems - Mar. 2024 - BestReviews
I am one of the others too! The worst boo boo was trying to get to Liberty Harbor RV Park in New Jersey. Partly our fault because we didn't have enough notice to be in the correct lane to exit from I95. We were directed onto some very narrow streets and an underpass that we just barely fit under. Having said that, Garmin's first directions were no where near the directions the RV Park offers (which were very simple and direct). Thank goodness for Google Earth to make things easier.

Darrell

Just wondering...although I'm considering purchasing the Garmin 890, I'm a bit apprehensive about mounting it in my view range. To be honest, when I drive a don't take my eyes off the road (or I hear the wake up bumps 🤔). Anyone mount it for use by the co-pilot ? She tells me what to do anyway, but this way she'll have real data on her side. Thoughts ? Blessings
I bought a BULLETPOINT mount (link here} and am very happy with it. Lovely Wife can see it just fine from front passenger seat on my Ram 2500 crew cab. Definitely not the lowest price mount but to me well worth it. I got very tired of the suction cup mounts falling off the windshield and the beanbag mount slliding around on my dash in the truck (works great in the Ford Fusion though).

GPS & phone mount with flash.jpg

As for your voice directions not working, have you checked to be sure the voice is not muted? Mute is separate from the volume control. I keep mine muted because the voice drives me batty. You did say you made sure the volume was up if I recall correctly.

Just a side note:
Keep your "GARMIN" updated, regardless of model.
I update mine at least every other month and have had no issues.
Matter of fact, I either put in the address, or the RV Park, & compare it to "Trip Wizard", and only once have they differed. And that was how to go through Mobile, the bridge, or the tunnel. I opted for the bridge, as it was closer, and didn't require an additional "Exit"!
Maybe keeping it updated will help!

Just a side note:
Keep your "GARMIN" updated, regardless of model.
I update mine at least every other month and have had no issues.
Matter of fact, I either put in the address, or the RV Park, & compare it to "Trip Wizard", and only once have they differed. And that was how to go through Mobile, the bridge, or the tunnel. I opted for the bridge, as it was closer, and didn't require an additional "Exit"!
Maybe keeping it updated will help!
Yep, I update it regularly, just last week even. After a 2+ hour update, no difference.

It seems like every time I turn it on there is an update available. I usually just do the update when we get someplace and I turn on the wifi.

Once or twice a year I will bring it home and run Garmin Express on my desk top computer to install the updates it seems to work a smidge better.

Yep, I update it regularly, just last week even. After a 2+ hour update, no difference.
@Jim, you probably updated the Chinese version🙄

I think of all the stand alone units you will find the Garmin line of RV specific units your best option and most recommended. No gps is perfect, but Garmin is very well reviewed here. I personally use the 890 in a heads-up install (right behind my steering wheel so I can see it without taking my eyes off of the road ahead of me. Works great for me, but we also use a phone running google maps as a backup. When they disagree i will usually go with the garmin routing as it has the height/weight restrictions built in to the routing instructions.
Garmin RV version (anyone) has worked very well. A few times, it got confused and told me to u-turn unnecessary, but the destination was very close to the location.

Latest resources

Back