Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I traveled the I-95 corridor from Richmond to DC yesterday, beyond painful due to construction, most of the trip north of Fredericksburg was at 15 mph, took forever and a day! Anyways, passed by McGeorge's Camping World, General RV, and two others further north and all lots looked like they were at capacity including overflow lots.

Well, we all knew this was coming.

Ive also noticed far fewer RVs on the road than expected. A lot of CGs are full and maybe its just my back-roads route preference, but it seems like fewer people are out driving RVs and more are sitting tight in parks. What do you think?

With a national average cost of 5.65 for Diesel, I would imagine most are staying put longer and driving shorter distances in order to afford the lifestyle. It does look like prices are trending down (slightly) which is encouraging but until we get back to the baseline of around ~3.xx if that ever happens, people are going to be smart where they go and how far they travel. Just a guess and not backed by any any scientific evidence.

1657389034913.png

I’m guessing too based on non-scientific findings, but thats my impression. I’d say I’ve seen maybe 20% of the expected or “normal” rv traffic across the country, but some very full CGs. But that’s just a casual observation.

Ive also noticed far fewer RVs on the road than expected. A lot of CGs are full and maybe its just my back-roads route preference, but it seems like fewer people are out driving RVs and more are sitting tight in parks. What do you think?
I noticed that yesterday too but a one day sample size I didn't want to mention. Today up near PA and OH I saw significantly more. I guess people escaping heat.

Hi Neal: I absolutely HATE that I95 corridor. I got caught caught in it more than a few times traveling to Virginia and DC. It is a nightmare when there is no construction. I always try to use the third pay lane when possible. Even then it runs out and traffic always sucks.

HH

Hi Neal: I absolutely HATE that I95 corridor. I got caught caught in it more than a few times traveling to Virginia and DC. It is a nightmare when there is no construction. I always try to use the third pay lane when possible. Even then it runs out and traffic always sucks.

HH
Definitely agree. I’d have to be going somewhere on 95 to travel on it. Otherwise I’ll find an alternate. 95 through Richmond, DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, NY and on up to Boston is on my “never again” list.

We decided to extend our stay in Gulf Shores, AL. a few weeks ago from 2 weeks to 3 weeks. We decided that we had already bought the fuel to get there and it wasn't going to cost us any additional fuel to stay another week so we did! I would imagine a lot of people are doing the same. Especially retired people or full timers that don't have to go home so they can get back to work. We're not retired but both work at home so we are flexible, thanks to the Peplink system we bought. We can work from the road as easily as we can work from Home!

Latest resources

Back