• Commercial/Vendors welcome

RV Parks Occupancy

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Jim, we're finding the same results. A few parks are close to capacity on Friday and Saturday and then 50% or less during the week. I wonder if prices are changing? Since I made reservations months ago, I have know way of knowing. We've already decided next year we will not make reservations except for holidays.

Interestingly enough, I have found it difficult getting space at a few Harvest Host locations.
This is about normal, based on what I have seen over the last 7 years.

We just got home from our trip out west; beginning with Longhorn Ranch and RV Park in Dubois, Wy, we were struck by the lack of occupancy. Our first time there in 2020, the place was packed to the gills and it was striking how much that was not the case this year. We also felt the same way at the rv parks in Utah, Co, and New Mexico…and we had no problems at all getting a spot “on the fly” as we were making our way back home, to the southeast. I will say, however, we live on a small island and our area has been PACKED with tourists before school started back. I guess people are traveling but just not so much in RVs. We’re crazy about ours and aren’t giving it up anytime soon!

We checked into a Park today located in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in MN. I've been coming to this park on and off for the last 15 years and it has always been full but not this time. Talking to the owner this afternoon he said this has been one of the slowest years excluding 2020 he has had in 20 years. The canoe outfitting business is booming but not the camping.

Candy Hill (Winchester VA) on the way home last week was full but scored a nice site. KOA in Toledo, OH area was probably 50-60%.

Don't think any of us are surprised and I guess we should be glad to see things opening up or slowing down as reservations were certainly getting challenging. Sadly I noticed diesel shot back up so that was going in the wrong direction on the way home.

We did minimal traveling this summer as we close out our full timing adventure for good. Out of the five or six campgrounds we did visit they were not close to being full.

Over the past several months I have talked to two people who are linked to RV manufacturing jobs. One buddy had been commercially hauling RVs out of northern Indiana for several years as a retirement gig. He gave it up last fall due to about a 50% decline in available loads. This week Forest River flew a tech to central Florida for cabinet veneer repair issues (recall). In a conversation with her she said most of the RV manufacturers in Indiana have cut their staff by up to 50% in the past year. She predicted a huge market decline in RV sales and usage.

I know this thread isn't about "why" there is room at the campground, but the contributing factors that make them that way seems relevant.

So just to name a few:
  • Rising interest rates are slowing RV purchases.
  • Fuel is again going up.
  • The covid rush is over.
  • The "boomer" generation has retired. Not sure exactly how this will affect the industry, could go either way I guess.
  • Inflation is hurting a large part of the purchasing community.
  • It isn't helpful that many feel the economy is circling the drain.
  • Also, the horror stories of people buying a new RV, just to have it spend months in the shop while the new owner continues to make payments and watch his/her plans go down the tube.
One or more of these issues alone are enough to damage the industry. Combined they are enough to bring serious problems for RV manufactures, park owners, and just about everyone involved in supporting the ecosystem that makes up the RV lifestyle.

Last edited:
I know this thread isn't about "why" there is room at the campground, but the contributing factors that make them that way seems relevant.

So just to name a few:
  • The "boomer" generation has retired. Not sure exactly how this will affect the industry, could go either way I guess.
  • Also, the horror stories of people buying a new RV, just to have it spend months in the shop while the new owner continues to make payments and watch his/her plans go down the tube.
One or more of these issues alone are enough to damage the industry. Combined they are enough to bring serious problems for RV manufactures, park owners, and just about everyone involved in supporting the ecosystem that makes up the RV lifestyle.
One would hope the industry takes a good look at the last one but I'm not going to hold my breath.

These are not new issues. For as long as I can remember the Powersports, and RV industry follows straightforward cycles. Cheap money, reasonable fuel prices, and decent economy, Boom times. When these factors decline, Bust. No one seems to remember from one cycle to the next.

So just to name a few:
A couple of smaller, family owned restaurants have recently closed their doors here in Franklin, NC. And today I read an article in one of the local newspaper's, that Fatz is closing their doors as well. In another thread on this forum today, it appears Newmar is experiencing scheduled maintenance cancelations as well.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid that we, (meaning the majority of the population of the US) are going to be in serious trouble in the very near future.

I hate to spread gloom/doom, but in my opinion, the future doesn't look promising for those companies who depend on a thriving economy, as well as those consumers who are living day-to-day.

The bright side, and I hate to call it a bright side, but the last time we went through one of these recessions, there were some really good deals to be made on just about every kind of luxury item. Porsches, boats, commercial/residential properties, etc., were all on the chopping block at a tremendous discount for those with the liquid assets to purchase them.

A couple of smaller, family owned restaurants have recently closed their doors here in Franklin, NC. And today I read an article in one of the local newspaper's, that Fatz is closing their doors as well. In another thread on this forum today, it appears Newmar is experiencing scheduled maintenance cancelations as well.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid that we, (meaning the majority of the population of the US) are going to be in serious trouble in the very near future.

I hate to spread gloom/doom, but in my opinion, the future doesn't look promising for those companies who depend on a thriving economy, as well as those consumers who are living day-to-day.

The bright side, and I hate to call it a bright side, but the last time we went through one of these recessions, there were some really good deals to be made on just about every kind of luxury item. Porsches, boats, commercial/residential properties, etc., were all on the chopping block at a tremendous discount for those with the liquid assets to purchase them.
Nice bate and switch!!! But most of the people I am listening to are saying once in 300 year event! Wrap your head around that!

Latest resources

Back