Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Okay fellow RVFers, let's participate in a thread that will help all of us learn about our tires and when they were manufactured and when you may want to change them out for new. First thing is how to get your tire manufacture date via the DOT four digit imprint on your tire. In short the first two digits of the four digit DOT number is the week number, the second two digits is the year.

To kick off this thread here are the dates on my tires to help my awareness and hope you will contribute as well for your safety.

2017 Newmar Ventana - in service date June 5, 2017

Steer Axle:
Left: Unable to find DOT date
Right: 3216
Date I'll replace the steer axles will be 5 years from the known so that means 2021 for me in my 2017 coach.

Drive Axle:
Left: 4217
Right: 4217
I will go 7 years on my rear tires so all four will be replaced in 2024

Tag Axle:
Left: 1017
Right: Unable to find DOT date

I posted a video about tires

I am hoping this thread is about tire AGE and not pressure. I just want people to know how to get the date of manufacture and understand the age of their tire and consider when to replace.

In addition to knowing your tire date codes, a frequent visual inspection can alert you to potential problems. Look for bulges in the sideway, uneven wear on the tread, significant cracks, etc. And, if a tire is slowly losing air, find out why; it may be the beginning of a break in the fabric (usually in the sidewall area, but not always).

And, don't assume that tire codes will necessarily be close to the build date of the coach; they can be a year or more off. Chassis manufacturers buy large lots of tires and they are usually pretty close in date of manufacture...but not always. A few older tires found in the back of the warehouse may get tossed into the lot. And, chassis may be built but not immediately delivered to the RV manufacturer. Or, a few tires may sit unused in the chassis manufacturer's warehouse for a significant period of time before being used. Only the tire date code stamped on the tire can give you reliable information.

Finding the codes on mounted tires can be tricky. When tires are mounted on wheels, the date codes may not be on the side facing out where they are easy to find. Some may be between the duals. A mirror and flashlight are good tools to help you in your search, as is a cell phone camera with flash tuned on. Photos of places that are hard to access can be a big help.

TJ

When I have had to purchase tires for a previous coach, I stressed to the dealer that I would not accept a tire that had a manufacture date that was more than 6 months old. Amazing the difference in attitudes from them when you make this request. And, I checked each one prior to accepting them for mounting.

I have a 2016 tire (2) on my 2017. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to replace on DOT date + 5 or if in service date + 5 as I'm not sure how I feel about a tire sitting on a rack waiting to be mounted vs. one with weight on the wheels.

Feel free to share your DOT dates as I did to help awareness.

According to a document from Michelin, Tire aging is from date of MFG. tire aging.png

This page is from this document. When Do I Need New Tires? | Michelin.

2015 Ventana LE with 12000 miles on her. I haven't been able to find the code yet but Im probably sitting on 6 year old tires. I understand most of the these big RV tires "time out" before they "wear out". In my case however, the PO stored the coach indoors in a climate controlled garage and the tires look brand new. No uneven wear. No cracking or discoloring. They even feel tacky to the touch. Because of that I think Im going to stretch the tires out at least one more year.

At that point I have to decide on what brand.

Where can I find this side wall crack chart?

Last edited:
I usually change the tires at the beginning of the sixth season. So they have been driven on for five years, when replaced. My tires are always covered, by I do not have indoor storage.

Latest resources

Back