• Commercial/Vendors welcome

RV water filters

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Thought some of you may be interested to see what my friend just sent me after 2 weeks at Hearthside, which is on a well.

He's using the 3-stage and Softener system I built for him, and the filter shown is the first in-line...a 5 micron! Yikes!

Needless to say, he's sure happy to have the filter system up there. Funny, cuz we normally think about how "hard" the water is west of the Rockies, but in this case, it's well water that's got some stuff you don't want running through your coach...let alone body.

Tony's Filter at Hearthside.jpeg

I've also been eyeing an external filtering system. Looking for somethig compact and not too heavy. As we are NOT full time, we can use something with less overall volume, and maybe less filter capacity.

Thinking about this one

Thought some of you may be interested to see what my friend just sent me after 2 weeks at Hearthside, which is on a well.

He's using the 3-stage and Softener system I built for him, and the filter shown is the first in-line...a 5 micron! Yikes!

Needless to say, he's sure happy to have the filter system up there. Funny, cuz we normally think about how "hard" the water is west of the Rockies, but in this case, it's well water that's got some stuff you don't want running through your coach...let alone body.

View attachment 19916
I'm scared to look. I'm in the new section and thought I was safe. Lost water this morning so went out to check things. Got the spigot working again and sure enough brown yuck came out. I'm triple filtered but I'm guessing at the end of this stay filters are going in the trash. I am not feeling it for this place!

I'm scared to look. I'm in the new section and thought I was safe. Lost water this morning so went out to check things. Got the spigot working again and sure enough brown yuck came out. I'm triple filtered but I'm guessing at the end of this stay filters are going in the trash. I am not feeling it for this place!
Neal, doubt you'll even make it to the end without a change of cartridges! My buddy is getting all sorts of sediment, noticeable in just 2 weeks!

We're making sure he has a set of 5m/1m/0.5m cartridges on hand at all times.

Also, you'll need to REGEN your Softener Tank ASAP! That well water is pretty hard as well as being dirty.

X2 on checking the softener.

We have been at our current campground in Ohio, that has well water, since May.

Making it about a month between regen of the 16k water softener we use.

I check it weekly with the test strip kit we have.

Lots of crud in the water but we are triple filtered, then softener, then house filter.

Looks like the larger capacity triple filters are necessary even for relatively short stays with spare filters just in case. We've been lucky so far...Untitled.jpg

I'm using a dual canister setup. Bought a more expensive one from a dedicted RV water filter supplier, didn't like it. This one I love, fittings compatible with Newmar's setup. I then use one of the camco filters at the spigot for first line of defense. Water in the coach is clean, the best test is Elli's water bowl :)

I am not seeing hardwater here at Hearthside Grove, therefore, no water softener inline.

Amazon product ASIN B07GBZ83HH
Amazon product ASIN B00VX1UK1Y

I'm using a dual canister setup. Bought a more expensive one from a dedicted RV water filter supplier, didn't like it. This one I love, fittings compatible with Newmar's setup. I then use one of the camco filters at the spigot for first line of defense. Water in the coach is clean, the best test is Elli's water bowl :)

I am not seeing hardwater here at Hearthside Grove, therefore, no water softener inline.

Amazon product ASIN B07GBZ83HH
Amazon product ASIN B00VX1UK1Y
Neal,

That 2-stage is good, and maybe you're running the CAMCO as a pre-filter, which is not terrible but can still cause issues.

BUT...just in case...and for others...
(I KNOW I'll take flak for this...but here goes)

I STRONGLY discourage using the Camco filter!!! Reasons being, one... it's ONLY a 20micron filter. (FYI, I panicked when I read the description in Amazon that said it was a 100-micron!! Talk about a typo! yikes) This is even worse than what I thought they were which is 10micron.

And two... it's way too small for a large coach's water demands and, with dirty water supplies, will plug up in as little as 2 weeks. This is exactly what happened down in Indio!

I, like many, relied on the CAMCO until I found the above deficiencies.

Latest resources

Back