RV Make
Alpinelite
RV Length
26'
TOW/TOAD
2016 Ram 1500
Fulltimer
Yes
How are you filtering your water? I was surprised when this youtube Chanel put this topic on his video. He focused on fluoride, but the video has a few shockers of it's own. I have posted on this topic in the past, but I am now concerned about other problems as we travel it is not an option to test the water everywhere we fill the tank.

I fill my tank and always use the on board system for the water in house. I have made some new changes to my system, and that only after this video, is the reason for my post.

What I have added to the system to remove more of the modern contaminants only added to our water supplies in the last year. You must know my typical water comes from local wells, so fluoride is only an issue for me if it is of natural source.

I added a second cartridge carbon block filter to my fill hose. I also added a flow restrictor to allow more time the water is in contact with the carbon block filters. More information about my system can be found in a post on topic here on rvf

Putting aside the fluoride part of the post, which has been debated for decades (in our family we work to avoid it), there are so many water contaminants now. Lead, cysts, pfas/pfos, other metals, herbicides, insecticides, etc. Hundreds… can be overwhelming.

We use 2 of the “big blue” style filters (4.5” x 10”) in series. This is a hugely popular filter size and as new filters are developed and as we move around to different areas we can switch the types of filters we use.

In some areas the water has obvious signs of high iron or sulphur. The location will sometimes cause us to change the type of filter in the first canister, changing from wound to pleated or changing micron size. Pleated can be washable and reusable which we like when in an area of high visible contaminants/sediment. But in very warm climates we might switch to a cheaper wound sediment filter to avoid algae build up, and replace the filter more often.

2nd filter is usually a block carbon filter type and we sometimes vary that size, from 5 microns down to 1.

Problem is you need a DP to carry all of this stuff, water filter system water softener, etc.

I was using the blue filter on the hose, followed by the Clearsource dual filter and finally the whole house fil;ter that is in the wet bay. Now I have to get a water softener, which means ditching the Clearsource due to lack of room.

We use the Clearsource three filter setup which includes the anti-bacterial as the last filter.

Following that we have our 16k grain water softener.

Also have the coach filter in place as a final before coming inside.

Problem is you need a DP to carry all of this stuff, water filter system water softener, etc.

I was using the blue filter on the hose, followed by the Clearsource dual filter and finally the whole house fil;ter that is in the wet bay. Now I have to get a water softener, which means ditching the Clearsource due to lack of room.
Why would you swap out the clearsource for water softener? For me, I would much prefer clean water to soft water.

How are you filtering your water?
I simply have a household Reverse Osmosis system. The system has a carbon filter to keep chlorine out of the Reverse Osmosis Membrane and a final carbon filter to finalize the water before going to a 1.5 gallon storage tank. I do not drink from the tap, but only from the Reverse Osmosis tap. I also run Reverse Osmosis water to the ice cube maker. The brine water is returned to my secondary fresh water tank. The water pump in the coach will produce enough pressure to make water while not hooked to any outside source.
I have "onboard Reverse Osmosis water."
I also test the water with a Total Dissolved Solids electronic meter for fun when I hook up to fresh water. Keep in mind an electronic meter may not find some compounds. Some dissolved solids do not conduct electricity. Total Dissolved Solids meters will give you an idea how much water changes from place to place.

Very interesting!
I tried to avoid the fluoride issue. I thought I could skirt that topic, but guess that was not going to happen.

According to experts in the field fluoride is toxic! Considered a waist product that has guides on it's disposal. There is no debate about that..however if you go in for fluoride treatments, use most brands of toothpaste, you are receiving more fluoride than the maximum acceptable dose. So that part of this topic fails any revelance.
For the record, however, bone char filters, Ozone water treatment, and distillation, are the only way known to remove it from the water(correction: bone char filters simply make fluoride inert, they don't remove it). I knew that the mouth absorbs chemicals, but didn't think about the entire body's roll as a membrane.

At this time, like some others, I am grounded. Finances have me locked down, my water supply is a well. That means short of natural fluoride, I have no worries mate!

Poisons in ground water is of possible concern due to the over 100 toxic spills across the US in the past year alone! Last one that I heard about was on the Yellowstone River, but I digress.

Looks like many use what I suggest!

16878727364885238561888265356498.jpg

This is my Lowes goto, a carbon block filter! Honestly, I don't use anything else except my RO, and Ozone bubbling tank.
Don't suppose you would cart around a 50 gallon pickle barrel the way I do, so you can bubble with Ozone!!! Yes I have my reasons, I bubble far enough away to limit rubber checking. I hear that very little Ozone escapes the drum, but better safe than sorry! I was told that using the fresh water tank would not present a problem, but you know?

A simple search about the toxins that have found their way into our water supply would scare the b______s out of most of us, our defense is a hole house carbon block filter system. The filters above combine sediment, and carbon block. If you replaced all filters in your multi station systems with these filters, you would have dealt with what this post was trying to address. Adding a bone char filter would address the fluoride issue. However if you still use toothpaste with fluoride, it will do you no good!

I also see concerns about antimicrobial issues. The least expensive answer is copper! Yes copper, not stainless steel, not PEX. It is really easy to find copper foil in the local hardware store. If you roll up a sheet and put it in the filter canister along with the carbon block filter, you have the answer!!!

I'm glad I got so many thinking. May God be with you all!!!

I added a pair of filters back in 2009 both to remove bugs and odd tastes. I use an ordinary string-wound sediment filter and an NSF-53 carbon block filter and change both every six months or so. A third cannister containing a "south of the border" super-duper filter could be added. Seems to work; we're still kicking.

Beware that hoses can grow mold and even chunky green algae, so put the filters last in line before the water inlet and use the shortest hose possible to the inlet. Collapsible hoses are the worst because they never completely empty and dry out.

The Clearsource rig is grossly, grossly overpriced. Compare to The Water Filter Store and Amazon.

Latest resources

Back