• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Alert RVing and Protestors

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I do not understand the rationale of defunding police when we need protection and this is the one thing I think our country is way short on (law & order). To see people climbing statues here in VA and not having no worry of the police arresting them is disgusting and despicable. To be able to riot and loot without worry of getting caught is another sick thing we are all witnessing. The reality is like many other things it's out of our control, there is nothing we can do about it. As I alluded above I had wondered when the good cops (civilians) would step in to counter the bad (rioters). At some point the population needs to be the barrier if the police and/or military cannot do it. Again, this is something we can't do anything about other then show up at elections and hope our vote counts and helps matters per our beliefs.

I do not understand the rationale of defunding police when we need protection and this is the one thing I think our country is way short on (law & order).
It is a simplistic attempt to solve a complex problem; e.g. "If there were no police there would be no police misbehavior." It overlooks the fact that without police, there would be lots of misbehavior from all sectors.

The creators of these slogans go for something catchy without thinking through the ramifications. It could just as easily be "If there were no people, there would be no crime." A true statement, but it doesn't pass the rationality standard. The same is true for "Defund the Police."

TJ

Thanks for posting the clip Neal. I wish NY would have that looped in on all their huge outdoor monitors playing 24/7 in the downtown area for the next week. That little girl was spot on.

It has just been a bad few days on several fronts. As if seeing the VN memorial wall defaced with spray paint wasn't bad enough then Hanoi Jane crawled out from under her rock to make a public statement.

IMHO, If forced to travel, there are many Phone Apps that will provide 'real time' road conditions. If I had to travel during this time I would be checking those apps routinely several times during each leg of the trip. Avoiding large city centers and be done traveling each day by early afternoon, before 3 p.m. Over the years I have noted that traffic and people movement increases significantly after 2:30 - 3 p.m.

Also, there is a risk of folks throwing objects off over passes which is very real. The radical elements of our society have taken to prepositioning easily thrown objects near places of unrest.

My first plan, plan A if you will, is always to avoid issues. Making a concerted effort 'to avoid' is typically all you will need, if well executed. That said have a plan B ...... and C and D should plan A not work out. A well worn axiom, "no plan survives first contact".

Things don't always end well waiting for 911 to respond., especially when police are scattered tending to other 911 calls.

The Reginald Denny story is top of mind of many professional drivers. As a result of the Reginald Denny event I believe, Truck drivers have specific laws that protect them from people that knowingly put themselves at risk near their rigs. The risk of injury reverts to the individual who knowingly puts themselves at risk of injury near a Big Rig.

Attack on Reginald Denny - Wikipedia

It would probably be wise to stock up on pepper and/or bear spray. I hear sales of these items are peaked so may be hard to get.

If it was me I'd say stay in the coach with doors and basements locked, shades down, and call 911. I would make sure you have access to any self defense you may carry in the "slides in" configuration. i.e. I keep one "thing" under my bed, that won't be the case right now. I do have another "thing" in a cabinet forward of the bed. Just be prepared is my advice. Avoid confrontation, remember you have insurance, let whatever happens happen as long as you and your other passengers are safe. The RV is a "thing" and it can be fixed or replaced. Loss of lives or prison sentences are not a desired end result of anyone in your RV.
Good advice. And, travel with "things."

I’m not in favor of defunding. But, I am in favor of smarter funding and non-police oversight boards for purchases and conduct reviews for police complaints. My concern with the police is; 1) why do we have police “uniforms” that look like they are battle ready and about to be deployed? (I’m not speaking of the current protest situation) We have community police in towns and counties across U.S.A that are dressed in full military looking “uniforms”. I believe that sends an unconscious message as soon as a police officer steps out of their car. Also, police vehicles that look “military” 2) Why do we have police, police themselves? Whenever a citizen makes a complaint on an officer, it is their colleagues that “look into it”. How many serious allegations have been swept away by their own internal reviews?

My opinion is that many, many lives would have been saved for following a simple word...compliance. When a person of authority tells you to stop, get down or get in the cruiser, comply! Now. With respect. If you're innocent, it can be worked out. If you're guilty, at least you're alive.

My opinion is that many, many lives would have been saved for following a simple word...compliance. When a person of authority tells you to stop, get down or get in the cruiser, comply! Now. With respect. If you're innocent, it can be worked out. If you're guilty, at least you're alive.

I agree, all of us sane people here agree. Police officer aggression is a result of aggression IMHO. Criminals are not polite when they are facing arrest. We all know this. Common sense does not prevail in our society, sadly, and we all suffer as a result. Welcome to RVing aka isolation and getting away from insanity.

Well, this is interesting. I was looking on Amazon to stock up on pepper spray for my upcoming trip. Found this, at first I said umm no, now I'm thinking this is actually wise to even keep in the coach for self-defense regardless of the current events.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5TIY3J/?tag=rvf01-20

mace-gun.png

Otherwise I'm at least getting a few of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007VM8UC/?tag=rvf01-20

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back