• Commercial/Vendors welcome

SCARY.......Lithium Battery Fires!!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I'm curious to know your thoughts. So, in electric cars, how many fires verses gas cars do you think there are. I mean are we nervous just because it's new, or is the threat less or more then what we are accustomed to.

I own a Tesla, and just to give my perspective. My car has not lite on fire yet. :) It costs me about $10 to fill up. It accelerates from 0 to 60 in under 3 seconds, I don't need to change the oil. It's my most favorite car that I've ever owned. I've personally seen more gas cars on fire then Teslas. I think Tesla has the battery stuff well figured out, (other manufacturers I'm not so sure about).

Mine phone uses two 9V.

I don't think fires are scary, I think the potential for spontaneous combustion is. There's certainly more gasoline powered vehicle fires, largely (just kidding, exclusively) due to the fact that there's more gasoline powered vehicles. I certainly think Tesla is ahead of the curve in battery safety (being non-union no doubt helps) but it's still a work in progress. I used to have a need for speed when I was 16, in my 20's when I could afford it, I had a ZX10R, 47mpg, $300/yr to insure, under $12K, 0-60 in mid 2's, my best E.T. was 9.9X at a tick over 150 with the front dialed down and rear tire pressure set perfectly, it did cost me about $12 to fill up though. Quick acceleration has always been available, Tesla has presented it in such a way that skill is no longer required.

Last edited:
Answering Neal’s question about battery type in phones.

Phone batteries are almost always one of the more energy dense chemistries, hence riskier chemistries. Not sure of the recent phones, but a few years back Apple was using LiCoO2.

These higher energy dense chemistries are also the ones that can change size as they discharge/charge. Hence why we will see these batteries “swell”.

I'm curious to know your thoughts. So, in electric cars, how many fires verses gas cars do you think there are. I mean are we nervous just because it's new, or is the threat less or more then what we are accustomed to.
I think folks would be surprised how many gasoline powered vehicles burn to the ground every week. However, Fire Response units know how to deal with these.

In 2021, there were around 174,000 highway vehicle fires reported in the United States. This is a slight increase from the previous year, where there were 173,000 highway vehicle fires reported across the country.

There are approximately 250 million vehicles on the road in the US and less than 1% are EVs. I feel comfortable wagering there are many more ICE fires every year than EV fires. The question should be, what percentage of EV fires versus ICE fires of the total vehicles on the market?

Here is a friend’s gasoline powered vehicle that literally just burst into flames while parked this fall. straight gasoline powered tech.
it happens

Attachments

• 1702050520611.jpeg
    1702050520611.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 6
Anybody know what battery is in your phone?
The Chinese, in all of their wisdom (cough, cough), do not reveal the chemistry of the battery. They say standard Li ion battery. Duh!!

What is the most common cause of gasoline powered car fires?

There are approximately 250 million vehicles on the road in the US and less than 1% are EVs. I feel comfortable wagering there are many more ICE fires every year than EV fires. The question should be, what percentage of EV fires versus ICE fires of the total vehicles on the market?
IMG_7227.jpeg

Latest resources

Back