Chassis
Ford F-53, 26,000GVWR
Engine
Ford V-10
TOW/TOAD
2017 Gmc Terrain & 2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR-2
Fulltimer
No
A friend emailed me this video about lithium battery fires! The title sums it up.....SCARY!!!
Especially with many new RV's, Coaches & Fiver's, pull trailers, etc!
And high end coach manufacturers now installing them, when built!

I'm not sure how it will affect the RV industry!

Allan

Attachments

• EV VIDEO.mp4
    13.1 MB
Certainly a lot unknown and yes there is risk but this is where LiFePO4 type batteries come into play for safety. But I wonder if/when insurance companies may start charging more or denying policies based on something like this.

Certainly a lot unknown and yes there is risk but this is where LiFePO4 type batteries come into play for safety. But I wonder if/when insurance companies may start charging more or denying policies based on something like this.
A great point Neal! Insurance companies need but a small excuse (reason) to raise premiums anymore!
I do know that I will not be buying a "Tesla", nor any other EV! Mainly because I'm too dang old!;)

Unfortunately it is not understood by the general public that a “lithium” battery is not the same as every other lithium battery.

There are different chemistry batteries, each of them has different pros and cons.
The are 2 lithium ion battery types that have the thermal runaway risk - NMC and NMCA.

There is a different batter type, LFP or LFeP, that stores a little less energy but does NOT have the risk of thermal runaway. This is the type of battery that is popularly used in RVs (and now Tesla China and some Chinese builders are starting to use).

We have two LFeP batteries in our coach, each is 450aH in size. As an illustration of their safety, while an alarm system was being installed one of the batteries was drilled into. It took awhile to figure out why the battery capacity wasn’t the same but there was never any heat or fire for the weeks that this battery was damaged, with a hole drilled into a cell.

I have no concern about LFeP batteries and fire risk based on my crude understanding of chemistry and now experience/knowledge from real life.

There is more risk from the other chemistry batteries, and would not want one of them in my RV or house. Even careful where I leave my phone, especially when charging.

As pointed out. Different Li battery types/chemistry results in varying risk. What about flooded cell battery hydrogen gas explosions? Risk there too.

Reports of Li battery fire in vehicles = sensationalism at its finest.

Our local storage company will not allow lithium batteries or electric vehicles inside the storage units. I would bet insurance has a lot to do with that policy. Some great Utube videos of the electric jeep wrangler exploding. When the battery does fail it vents explosive gases into the passenger compartment and then explodes with a very impressive result.

A friend emailed me this video about lithium battery fires! The title sums it up.....SCARY!!!
Especially with many new RV's, Coaches & Fiver's, pull trailers, etc!
And high end coach manufacturers now installing them, when built!

I'm not sure how it will affect the RV industry!

Allan
The clip sounds like a little political posturing is being included but, no matter, I will not charge our e bike batteries anywhere near the coach and I have the chargers connected to a timer. Owners manual says max charge time four hours. I have it set for three. I think the world is rushing the use of Lithium Batteries and the world leaders aiding the push is wrong.

Darrell

WOW...as commentator willing to tell it like it is...we could use a few more of those types in my humble opinion.
I will move my e-bike a little further away from our motorhome while charging in the future however 🤔

Neal you're spot on!!! Rates are already higher on EV KIA products due to fire risk. At this time I would not keep the fact you have lithium batteries as house batteries from your insurance company. When you tell them, they may want to know if your system is DIY, or professionally done. In this you did good!

Another comment made on chemical reaction causing the fire is bogus!!! The fire is electrical in nature, and as long as there is power, and heat to compromise the cells, it is impossible to put it out!!! The job of a fire crew is to keep water on the site until It has cooled down. We all know water does not react well with electricity, so we know they won't put it out, just control collateral damage.

One more thing! Lower risk doesn't mean no risk. I was shown videos of LTO batteries having holes drilled in them, many in fact!!! Then it happened! Low risk? Yes, no risk, no!!!

Latest resources

Back