• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Ceveritt101

RVF Newbee
Hey y’all, looking for some guidance here-
Bought a new Forest River a handful of months ago and took it in for minor repairs that fell under warranty. Long story short it was there for two months and when we reached out about a timeframe of when we could pick it up we got the run around about the service department not knowing if it was finished. We got it back last week and took it out and not one thing from our walkthrough had been fixed and to make matters worse, the toilet was installed incorrectly and instead of draining into the black tank it was filling up the underside of the trailer. I am shocked we are dealing with this and I am fearful for my two kiddos health (their room is right above the mess) should we use it moving forward. We don’t know what to do- if we give them the opportunity to fix it I do not trust them because of our experience with them “fixing” our trailer the first time. I’ve heard of others having to hire lawyers in order to have the entire trailer replaced but that seems like a tall order for the dealership. Any suggestions are welcomed!

Have a lawyer send them a letter. That usually gets things the proper attention and due diligence.

From a corporate point of view, anytime a customer has their lawyer send the other party a letter or even threaten to do so by phone, it is most often immediately turned over to the corporate law department. They are experts at dragging things on for years.

The best suggestion is for you to put everything to your knowledge, every issue, and every concern, in writing and deliver it to the selling dealer with a copy to Forest River Customer Service. Be nice, professional, and patient.

From a corporate point of view, anytime a customer has their lawyer send the other party a letter or even threaten to do so by phone, it is most often immediately turned over to the corporate law department.
That part I agree with. I have had different experiences though in that I have usually found that their corporate lawyers told someone to do whatever I asked just because that is cheaper and it’s not worth their time to drag it out. As long as your demands are reasonable and follow some basic logic, I find it works in most cases

Yes, in many cases it is better to "just pay it" than fight it. However, getting to someone that has the authorization to do that is often a challenge. Hence, the reason I suggested putting the issues in writing and sending or delivering to the dealer and to Forest River Customer service. It is Forest River that can put pressure on the dealer to "get things done".

You can also, politely (really politely) suggest or ask if FR could return it to the factory and fix it themselves. They have a shop that does this.

I would suggest as many pics as you can muster of the problems. Document with witnesses to the problems, and how long they have had your rig without addressing the issues. Join as many rv forums as you can find. Publish the problems with all those forums and let forest river know what you have done. Let them know you plan on weekly follow ups how things are advancing.

In your posts call others to action. Either they will work hard to fix the rig, will buy it back, or go broke with the bad reputation they deserve. I suggest this because it looks by your post you have been more than reasonable.

Contact the manufacture customer service and see what they are willing to do. If there are manufacturing defects, such as the black tank drain issue, they should offer a path to restoration of use. Follow the guidance offered, catalog every defect and get agreement between parties on what is covered and how it will be resolved.

There is no set it and forget it solution to RVing. The state of play is the squeaky wheel gets the grease. The more a PIA you are the more urgency the dealer has to move you along. if you love your rig, want to be able to enjoy it next season, you will have to be hands on in a heavy way.

Best of luck

Hello Campers. We ordered a new 2021 RockWood Ultra Lite 2882S. We used the retailer who offered the best price. Of course the closer to factory the better the prices are. Manufacture in Indiana retailer in Ohio. Ok bobtail to Ohio pickup 5th wheel coach Vacation for a month see sights comping on the way home. Well unfortunately we encountered some issues. (1) Window valances were either missing fasteners or had been stripped from being overnighted. Then they put screws in wall next to bracket to temporarily hold it to wall. (2) Glass stove cover hinge fastener fell out while traveling. (3) Refrigerator light doesn’t stay in wall of refrigerator Faulty tabs wont hold. Refrigerator also runs hot while in travel on propane 54+Degrees. (4) Sewer Black water valve doesn’t seal properly every time I remove cap outer a cup of raw sewage comes out. (5) Water pump switch in compartment Quit working. (6) The controller center A/C inverter Button on controller Doesn’t turn off or on the inverter. (7) Closets Doors are missing catches to hold them in place during travel. There are pilot holes in frame but no catches. Don’t no how long they are supposed to last. (8) Celling fan blade bracket broke while traveling. (9) Front compartment Led light switch has failed. (10) Protruding screws were LP Hose connects for outside grill. Ouch! (11) Trash and screws left in floor ductwork. (12) Wood trim at some cabinets stamped with excessive gaps Exposing raw wood. This leads one to question Quality Control? (13) Gouges in flooring covered up with Repair Tape to cover up. They missed one to. This is not a ranting. These are Factually documented with pictures. I believe that the factory is supposed to fix for the problems for the first year.

Attachments

• 7A9619AA-96B2-47A9-B21B-1E3BE6D3E029.jpeg
    7A9619AA-96B2-47A9-B21B-1E3BE6D3E029.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 6EC94463-9FAC-4775-B2A7-BB62A3E7E20A.jpeg
    6EC94463-9FAC-4775-B2A7-BB62A3E7E20A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 5D71018A-BD6C-48A8-8E94-5076B5E678FA.jpeg
    5D71018A-BD6C-48A8-8E94-5076B5E678FA.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 58845966-6D08-4B35-8DE8-7BC30BD689BC.jpeg
    58845966-6D08-4B35-8DE8-7BC30BD689BC.jpeg
    596.8 KB · Views: 12
  • FD6422DD-18B2-4676-9398-900952CE497C.jpeg
    FD6422DD-18B2-4676-9398-900952CE497C.jpeg
    844 KB · Views: 11
  • ADB983D0-7BF0-4EEF-9EEC-69206F16AD16.jpeg
    ADB983D0-7BF0-4EEF-9EEC-69206F16AD16.jpeg
    746.4 KB · Views: 11
  • E0E38E27-9302-4732-A996-27CDD10FB143.jpeg
    E0E38E27-9302-4732-A996-27CDD10FB143.jpeg
    809.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 4C4F0DB3-410A-4F7C-A2C2-DE786636E2BE.jpeg
    4C4F0DB3-410A-4F7C-A2C2-DE786636E2BE.jpeg
    876.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 00520018-69C8-426A-B075-A8E77FB9043A.jpeg
    00520018-69C8-426A-B075-A8E77FB9043A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 7A590455-46FD-4AE1-BF0F-3C5ACE5C194D.jpeg
    7A590455-46FD-4AE1-BF0F-3C5ACE5C194D.jpeg
    799.4 KB · Views: 11
Oh boy! Live and learn. As I've stated before "new does not guarantee good, only guarantees new". From experience, I would NEVER start out on a trip, vacation, or whatever with a new trailer, airplane, boat and etc. Always get it home, live with it a week or two at home where you should determine that any inconvenience would not be a trip or vacation killer.

Folks, I'm not bad-mouthing Vinni, for he did is what many would do. Please engage common sense before starting with a NEW whatever. Now he has a bad taste in his mouth for the nice new travel trailer, brand, model, or specific unit. I can't blame him.

Purchasing new, at the dealer, spend the number of hours {yes hours} going over every detail, with clipboard, pen, and camera in hand, and confirm every item or system works as it should. If it doesn't............usually there is a 3 day "right of rescission" clause in every contract. Leave it at the dealer until it is correct.

Just be sure it is perfect to your expectations before you tow it away from the dealer. Don't let your exuberance overshadow the event of getting a new travel trailer.

Latest resources

Back