• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Service nightmare

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Hello Campers. We ordered a new 2021 RockWood Ultra Lite 2882S. We used the retailer who offered the best price. Of course the closer to factory the better the prices are. Manufacture in Indiana retailer in Ohio. Ok bobtail to Ohio pickup 5th wheel coach Vacation for a month see sights comping on the way home. Well unfortunately we encountered some issues. (1) Window valances were either missing fasteners or had been stripped from being overnighted. Then they put screws in wall next to bracket to temporarily hold it to wall. (2) Glass stove cover hinge fastener fell out while traveling. (3) Refrigerator light doesn’t stay in wall of refrigerator Faulty tabs wont hold. Refrigerator also runs hot while in travel on propane 54+Degrees. (4) Sewer Black water valve doesn’t seal properly every time I remove cap outer a cup of raw sewage comes out. (5) Water pump switch in compartment Quit working. (6) The controller center A/C inverter Button on controller Doesn’t turn off or on the inverter. (7) Closets Doors are missing catches to hold them in place during travel. There are pilot holes in frame but no catches. Don’t no how long they are supposed to last. (8) Celling fan blade bracket broke while traveling. (9) Front compartment Led light switch has failed. (10) Protruding screws were LP Hose connects for outside grill. Ouch! (11) Trash and screws left in floor ductwork. (12) Wood trim at some cabinets stamped with excessive gaps Exposing raw wood. This leads one to question Quality Control? (13) Gouges in flooring covered up with Repair Tape to cover up. They missed one to. This is not a ranting. These are Factually documented with pictures. I believe that the factory is supposed to fix for the problems for the first year.
Actually, it is the dealer that is authorized and paid by the factory to repair any failed items during the warranty period. Of course the less "warranty money" the dealer spends on parts and labor becomes more money in the dealer's pocket. Hold the dealer's feet to the fire with documented writing and pictures. It is going to take time as they will be slow. Also, copies to Forest River Customer Service will let them know "their dealer isn't doing a good job".

I was associated with the marine boat business for years. I know how the game is played.

Actually we stayed 1st night locally to retailer At the lake so that anything that was retailers responsibility could be and was addressed. I do believe the 1st year is manufacture responsibility. And we had a great vacation despite issues. Much easier vacation bobtailing SoCal to Ohio than dragging travel trailer all that way. How could anyone anticipate this? Reading forums Quality craftsmanship is a thing of the past.
also when a manufacture adds options Solar/inverter to a electrical system there responsibility is the system function is as per the owners manuals provided. Not the case due to mismatched system that doesn’t interface correctly. :unsure:

Attachments

• 17D46622-353A-47D1-9510-4D9832EE711F.jpeg
    17D46622-353A-47D1-9510-4D9832EE711F.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
  • FBDCB27B-D92A-4A12-A9F0-7216FFFE5C1B.jpeg
    FBDCB27B-D92A-4A12-A9F0-7216FFFE5C1B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • E32776AB-B553-49B1-961E-A52E7B5D60EF.jpeg
    E32776AB-B553-49B1-961E-A52E7B5D60EF.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 7431D97A-FEEE-490B-8AD5-D62DFC6D37CC.jpeg
    7431D97A-FEEE-490B-8AD5-D62DFC6D37CC.jpeg
    596.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 3CAC6459-4B1A-4FB9-8F74-0ECBBFF48ACA.jpeg
    3CAC6459-4B1A-4FB9-8F74-0ECBBFF48ACA.jpeg
    809.9 KB · Views: 8
  • BBE16D05-8B2F-48FA-AA79-D80BD4416FCD.jpeg
    BBE16D05-8B2F-48FA-AA79-D80BD4416FCD.jpeg
    844 KB · Views: 9
  • FB513857-2204-462D-A633-1ED8F39AF28B.jpeg
    FB513857-2204-462D-A633-1ED8F39AF28B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • EA216C8B-CEEA-4805-96E8-1F243D5525A0.jpeg
    EA216C8B-CEEA-4805-96E8-1F243D5525A0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • C91A93F1-D1C6-4340-8E81-7EA4E4024EF8.jpeg
    C91A93F1-D1C6-4340-8E81-7EA4E4024EF8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
By the way we ordered this coach talking directly with manufacture about solar option. Can’t blame anyone at retail dealer. Bottom line they saved thousands compared to California retailer. So did we in fuel costs doing the bobtail thing one way.

Without reading the dealer agreement, that is the agreement between the factory and dealer, it is usually defined it is the dealer's responsibility to repair or replace items under the warranty. It is not a Factory Warranty. Normally, the factory will hold back money to pay for dealer repair or warranty work. The factory is only responsible for what they built and/or supplied. Any options or accessories and "dealer prep work" added ex-factory is the responsibility of the dealer.

Appliances such as stove, AC, water heater, tires, battery, and such will each have a warranty separate from the travel trailer. Again it is the dealer's responsibility to make these things right.

Not my problem. We ordered this coach all options were factory installed. Factory has warranty responsibility for the period of one year after delivery to retailer. Any warranty beyond the first year is purchased from 3rd party. Appliance warranty's at best are one year. But all are coach manufacture responsibility for period of one year. Retailer only installs LP tanks, Battery’s Hose kits,, dealer prep. Non of them are the issue. Before having anything done manufacture has to agree to pay for repairs. That is why it is so difficult to get a retailer who didn’t sell coach to work on it.

Remember I wrote, that the agreement is between the factory and the selling dealer. And you said, "That is why it is so difficult to get a retailer who didn’t sell coach to work on it." Sorry to say but it is your problem. I hate to hear or read where anyone gets in the middle on a warranty issue.

Wish you luck.

You can be totally right, and never achieve satisfaction.

All these dealers are dealing with multitudes of folks with varying levels of issues. Each customer believes they are priority number one. The warranty approval, claim, reimbursement processes vary by manufacture but all are usually described as onerous, inefficient, slow, and difficult.

Identify what victory looks like for you and manage your expectations following that path.

No matter how you stack it, when the dealer signed the rig in for repairs he or his agents agreed to fix it. 2 months and no repairs? the owner of the rig is not being unreasonable, should not be bullied into thinking the dealer is right in any way. If there was any reason for the company to feel they would not be able to get it worked on in a reasonable amount of time they should have been upfront about scheduling the work.

Me thinks the company needs to be charged a fee for using this rig as a stage prop. It's very presents on the lot can mislead others into believing they are busy and being responsible.

Remember I wrote, that the agreement is between the factory and the selling dealer. And you said, "That is why it is so difficult to get a retailer who didn’t sell coach to work on it." Sorry to say but it is your problem. I hate to hear or read where anyone gets in the middle on a warranty issue.
Hi Bob. So you wrote all the contracts between Manufactures and dealer. We’re do you find the time? Since most coaches sit on dealerships lots for months wildling down on any end users claim time for claim against manufacture responsibility. Question Bob is the manufacture responsible for assembly of components provided to dealer to function as a fully functional compatible system? Or is the dealer responsibility to make it right? What we have created here is known as the great escape for both parties. Dealers and manufacture. Not such a good job for the end user. PS. To all Go power and WFCO are not compatible to interface together “quote Per Go Power Rep” Call them. Notice in pictures how they left out the cable between inverter and controller. Yes the cable comes with inverter. Someone needs to make a state for what is right even when owners didn’t make that agreement. How about some end user opinions .
2DA27B7B-D790-446E-B41F-1E8ADC272C51.jpeg
E27ADA68-A354-4D77-B974-AABDC82DEF5F.jpeg

For some 15 years, I handled warranty claims between the factory and dealer for a particular industry. On an international basis too, I might add. I was in the factory and dealt with the dealers. Many times the dealer didn't process the warranty claims, paperwork, and such. They ordered parts that were charged to their warranty account. When the warranty claims were processed by the factory, the dealer warranty account was credited. Unfortunately, if the dealer didn't do the paperwork and didn't file claims for the work, their warranty account hit a credit limit and the dealer could no longer get parts. They of course blamed the factory, telling the customer they couldn't get parts from the factory.

I would likely get a call from a very angry customer. I would look into it. That means call the dealer and have a firm discussion. Either the dealer resolves the customer issues or the factory would send a technical support person or team to resolve the issue and then bill the dealer. Trust me, the dealer didn't want any part of that deal as it was very expensive. I then called the customer and assured them the dealer would resolve the issues to their satisfaction. As to the factory, the dealers work between the factory and the customers. Factories build products and normally don't provide service.

I'm not down on dealers. On more than one occasion I spent time showing, teaching, and explaining to dealers how they could make good money doing service work, be it warranty or non-warranty. And how it makes for great customer relations. Both the dealer and the factory wins.

Yes, it is normally the selling dealer that confirms the final delivery configuration and gets the unit ready for the customer. This is referred to, in most cases, as "dealer prep". Someone pays, either the factory or the customer. It is one of those "fees" associated with the sales agreement. In other words, a fee to clean, check, adjust, repair, and assure all systems are working correctly. Of course, the less the dealer does, the more money in their pocket, and the customer is the one that suffers. Labor and parts cost money.

There are many different methods to fairly compensate the dealer for their work. In some cases, the factory will hold back money for the dealer to do warranty work.

But still, in automobiles, boats, airplanes, and many other items, the dealer is responsible to the customer. One exception is where direct sales take place. Meaning the customer buys direct from the factory and no dealer is involved.

Latest resources

Back