Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Use this thread to share how you setup Starlink in your RV and also share your experiences in your travels and how it's working for you and anything else you care to share. Be sure to include pictures as they always help to show an install or setup.

For sharing your Starlink Internet speed tests please use the Starlink Travel Log which is just like the Cellular Travel Log.

To order Starlink for RV's click here. If you are on the residential waiting list you may need to sign out and use a different email to order as it may show Starlink not available yet in your location which is not the case for the RV orders.

Installed Starlink on the 20ft Harbor Freight extendable flag pole mounted to my ladder with heavy duty off-road light bar mounts and large 60mm truss clamps sourced from Amazon. I was getting adequate service with some obstructions just sitting in its factory tripod mount on my RV roof, but had tree obstructions so went to the flag pole to get over the trees for zero obstructions. I also have a heavy duty tripod to use at ground level if needed in future sites where ladder mount wont work. Starlink is running into my Pepwave max duo WAN port using the network adapter from Starlink. Service has been great with it in central Arizona so far, with average speeds over 100.

When I get mine, trying to decide if it's worth trying to route an ethernet (or its USB power cable) up to where my peplink is, vs. just using Wifi WAN and hit it's wifi router plugged into a basement bay.

Since I assume I'll still use cellular 95% of the time, not sure it's worth putting a hole in the roof, running USB cable into cabinet where my network stuff is, and then keeping the excess cable coiled up and strapped to the ladder or the like.

What are you guys thinking in terms of how you will run the USB cable and where you'll place the power unit for the starlink?

Will be begin the setup today as I think I have everything I need. Tripod, Ethernet adapter & Starlink 'stuff'. Will try to document.
Well, setup did not go well. While it worked very well at our home office, was advised there was no service available just 15 miles away. Roaming was activated & we tried again, same result.
In looking at the Starlink coverage map, it appears geographical coverage is geared to the less populated areas of the US. If you are east of the Mississippi, it's very noticeable. The coverage map clearly shows my location not yet available.
I will admit I am disappointed I was unable to connect at my location. Based on multiple success stories I was hoping I could test it with my RV's LAN. Integratio/testing of the device into our business will now be accomplished where the device was registered.
By the way, the equipment functioned as designed and was very quick to tell me service wasn't available at my location. For what it's worth...... home location was tried, RV location was tried & home location with roaming was tired.
Please don't interpret this as a negative assessment of the device. We knew going into this test the location I was in was not covered.

Will be begin the setup today as I think I have everything I need. Tripod, Ethernet adapter & Starlink 'stuff'. Will try to document.
Did you buy the RV version or the "home version"??

When I get mine, trying to decide if it's worth trying to route an ethernet (or its USB power cable) up to where my peplink is, vs. just using Wifi WAN and hit it's wifi router plugged into a basement bay.

Since I assume I'll still use cellular 95% of the time, not sure it's worth putting a hole in the roof, running USB cable into cabinet where my network stuff is, and then keeping the excess cable coiled up and strapped to the ladder or the like.

What are you guys thinking in terms of how you will run the USB cable and where you'll place the power unit for the starlink?
Right now I am running the cable through the bedroom slide seal and have placed the router next to my pepwave inside where the bedroom tv used to be. I have ordered a spare Starlink cable to convert to shielded rj45 connectors and will be running a wire up somehow from one of the bays....haven't yet worked out where or how. I wanted to be able to test several install options with the ladder and ground mount options before I start cutting holes and such. The slide seal option works fine for the time being.

From what I have read, that would indicate that you moved out of your "approved" area, and are being denied service in order to keep the service level up for the subscribers in that area. I am going to have a similar issue in Aug if Starlink hasn't gotten the "I want to change my service to RV" option working yet. Again from what I have read, that ability should drop shortly, but they wont allow a change back to regular status once you change to mobile status (RV) mode. I will take a decrease in speed in order to have access anywhere regardless of home base address. We are temporarily in an "open" cell but will be moving into congested cells frequently in our travel so the RV plan makes the most sense for us.

Thank you for the reports, and I hope everyone will keep them coming. Do you mind if I ask the cost - initial outlay for the equipment, and monthly for RV service.

Thank you, Ed

Latest resources

Back