• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Share your Starlink RV install and experiences

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I figured I'd take the stuff out of the box to start figuring out where and how I'm going to install this. I expected and hope to just see an ethernet cable connecting devices. Nope. Looks like some unique cabling. Going to be interesting figuring this one out when July comes.

Ethernet adapter.

It you go to the Starlink map & place your cursor over a geographical area it will provide a very broad time frame on availability. I'm interested in those east of the Mississippi who have signed up for the RV package to report on their results.
As for set up..... I brought my son's Starlink Dish over to my RV campsite, about 15 miles away from the home/office. After finding a 'good location' (Starlink phone app, easy to use), we mounted in on a Tripod (TV4RV.com) with the Starlink pole adapter. The dish does it's thing & reports back within a few minutes. You just need to put in an open area. It will find the satellites on its own.
While I was not able to get to the internet (service not available in my area) the Starlink setup & operation was very easy. This was a 'home' package with roaming activated.
To be honest with you, I am waiting on reports from those with the RV option east of the Mississippi in non service areas to see what results they achieve.

I ordered the ethernet adapter and also this pole mount adapter. Will give a lot of options whether my ladder or some other pole mount setup even if on roof, etc.

Pipe_Adapter_Rectangular_1100x620.png

Thank you all for the good info, and please keep it coming! I'm a simpleton on most subjects, including this one, (most of your jargon goes right over my head), but we travel the country pretty much full-time and we're always looking for the best TV streaming options. I've had an eye on Starlink from the outset, and I'm ready to jump as soon as it becomes the best answer.

Right now, we have Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile hotspots, for which I pay a total of $150 a month, (plus the cost of the hotspots), but there are locations in which none of them are good. I am concerned about the amount of "wait listed" areas in the East. Does anyone have any idea how long it's going to be before Starlink "fills out the map"?

Also, as to the antenna/dish. I assume the way to go for an RV is simply to set up the dish on the ground in an area that has a clear sight to the sky . . . but does it have to be "aimed" like a DTV dish has to be aimed at the satellites? If so, how precise, and does the antenna do it, or do you need to dial it in? In short, how does the antenna set up work each time you set up camp?

Thank you!! Ed
Hi ED, here is what I have been able to gather. New satellites are going up a a rate of 50 per launch, and we had I believe 4 launches in May. There are sites that track new launches and where the sats are being placed to fill in the gaps that can provide more details. With that said, this is like any other service with more demand than supply, and will probably continue for a long while due to the price point Starlink has taken. There are many interpretations of the info on their website but my analysis is this: A home cell installation is likely going to be on a wait list in any populated area of the US due to high demand. The lower the population center the more likely a home cell install will be allowed and shipped in short period of time. Ordering for use in an open cell and then used in a backordered cell loophole was kind if misused in my analysis and allowed you to get a device shipped for an available cell, but shipped anywhere and used successfully in most cases. Some though when moved saw notices that you were not in your home cell and service was denied. Succes in that option seemed to be a case by case basis. The new RV service allows for a full roaming experience but at reduced speeds and prioritization if used in a densely used cell. That appears to be the best option for us RV folks as it "appears" we will be allowed service anywhere we attempt to use it. As far as the dish itself goes, it just requires open sky's generally in the northern directions and will find and track the satellites as they race by overhead. Many sites out there that explain the difference in the low orbit and high orbit sats in use with Starlink versus Dish or Direct TV. My personal experience has been stationary so far and very stable once the tree blockages were overcome. The clearer the sky path to the north the better it will work. I have been surprised though at the amount of service some are getting with very obscured installs. One of those "your mileage may vary" things. Hope this helps, and can't wait to see some more pics of that new beast you have!

I ordered the ethernet adapter and also this pole mount adapter. Will give a lot of options whether my ladder or some other pole mount setup even if on roof, etc.

View attachment 12714
I did same for my primary install when ladder area is unobstructed and have a heavy duty audio speaker tripod for cases where I will have obstructions at the RV and will need to place dish away from RV. BTW, I am also a little paranoid about theft, but have seen actually no reports on any of the media I monitor on Starlink of any gear disappearing.

I came across this PDF for Starlink mounting accessories.

Yeah was looking at the pipe adapter. Thinking of getting a flagpole like mount plate that you drive onto to lock in place and putting 3 x 6' metal pipe section that slip into one another then pipe adapter w/ starlink at top. I think this would also get us close to 20' which means that depending where around the RV you put it could clear trees when needed.

I'm really hoping stealing Starlink antennas does not become a thing but it's a concern on my mind.
That's a huge concern, I wonder if I can find a way to lock the pipe segments mentioned above in place to prevent someone easy access to it. If not I just don't know how one would keep it safe, would we need to lock it up every time we go out???

I am looking for some rather specific information from forum members east of the Mississippi
I should have in the next few weeks some prelim data, then in early July I'm doing a northeast small trip and would know even more.

View attachment 12714
I also added the pole adapter and ethernet adapter, and then bought a flag buddy to mount to my ladder. Might have been a waste of money, but looked like a fairly quick way to mount/unmount dishy from the ground.

Although, if I can't find an easy way to route the ethernet up to my half bath, I might just use Wifi Wan to connect to the Dishy's wifi. I still see myself using cellular the majority of time and Starlink in reserve to activate for a month, if I have bad cell service.

expensive

expensive
Unfortunately, all the mobile mounting options can be expensive if you want to get the Dishy off the ground with the stand it comes with. I went with the tripod from tv4rv.com & the Stralink pole adapter.
My thought being any semi permanent setup attached to the RV might be limited by what is around the pad the RV sits on. With the tripod & 75' of cable, I will have more flexibility. Unfortunately, we could not get to the internet with the setup from my son's home office just 15 miles away.
Presently, I am awaiting feedback from those in the east who are using the RV option in areas on the wait list.

Latest resources

Back