DSDP 4326
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
ISL 450
TOW/TOAD
2023 Winnebago ERA 70A or 2012 Ford Taurus
About the same time I retired, my brain decided my body needed only 4-5 hr of sleep each night. I have no problem falling asleep at all, but staying there is a challenge. Most nights I’ll awaken between 0130-0230. Sometimes I’m able to fall back asleep, most times not. If I do fall back asleep, I will reawaken several times and the dreams I have during those periods are straight out of a Picasso.

I do have sleep apnea, but that has been addressed and I know for a fact that is not why I am waking up.

Anyone else dealing with this? Any proven remedies?

I deal with this too but the main culprit for me is going to bed too early and then I'm up and at it at 6, which isn't a bad thing. Today I fell back asleep until 8 which was odd. I believe social media is part of the issue too, too much screen time may be a factor. My brain is non stop problem solving with software, personal, finances, etc. Elli is about to leave me, every time I wake up and can't go back to sleep she's snoring and I end up waking her up.

Try forcing yourself to go to sleep later such as watching a movie at night, etc. to force yourself to stay up. I tend to watch YouTube and that puts me to sleep. When I fire up Netflix, I'm typically riveted to the movie and it keeps me up later. Try watching Hacksaw Ridge, that will either keep you up or resurface all PTSD at the same time. But good story, just watched it, warning - gory!

EDIT: I can tell you what a doctor would say to me:
  • Caffeine - none after X O'Clock
  • Exercise - (insert laugh)
  • Mobile device down, although I minimize social media and screen time, that damn thing next to my bed will always be an issue and as we don't have land lines that's not an option anymore
  • Time of last meal (i.e. eating dinner too late)
  • Bedtime
EDIT 2: If you have an Apple watch it has sleep study and there are also sleep study apps. As I was concerned I had sleep apnea (can't test being a pilot, it's grounding) I used the Apple watch app and another app to test with a few nights. The health data on the Apple watch is pretty impressive. It warned me of high heart rate twice. I've preached on here before it's a good safety device to have if you're an iPhone user.

Last edited:
I suffered a similar issue.

Now I use a CPAP machine which helps in quality of sleep.
Also, I take vitamins at night that help. B1, B3/K2, Magnesium Before bed.
and to Neal’s point if I go to bed too early I’m up at 5 or 6 ready to go.

About the same time I retired, my brain decided my body needed only 4-5 hr of sleep each night. I have no problem falling asleep at all, but staying there is a challenge. Most nights I’ll awaken between 0130-0230. Sometimes I’m able to fall back asleep, most times not. If I do fall back asleep, I will reawaken several times and the dreams I have during those periods are straight out of a Picasso.

I do have sleep apnea, but that has been addressed and I know for a fact that is not why I am waking up.

My sleep pattern never left me when I retired. Probably for the last thirty or forty years I have gone to bed at midnight and been wide awake and ready for action at 6:00 AM. That's all I seem to need. I don't have your dream issue though but now I do get up for pee break or three. :)

Darrell

Magnesium citrate, B-6, selenium!!! All three at every meal, as well as moderate meat consumption to reduce acid reflux.

Should you only desire to treat symptoms, melatonin when you wake up to early. Saundra said she had to sleep off melatonin!

Welcome the dreams! The your spirit is likely talking to you!

Military background?
My PTSD took over 25 years to surface…
Yes, there is military in my history, but I didn’t have any experiences that would logically lead to PTSD. On the other hand, I am married, so…:LOL:

diagnosed with clinical insomnia when I was 13, 55 now, 4-5 hours a night is all I typically sleep. in bed by 9:30 up by 2:30-3:00am.

my father had the same issue, his half-brother has the same issue. Seems to be a genetic trait.

I have prescription sleeping pills, but I try not use them often, they are addicting and can cause liver and kidney issues. typically, a 30-day supply will last me a year.

I’m in exactly the same boat after decades in the fire service and commonly wake at 3am even if I put off going to bed until after 11. I tried 4 or 5 rx sleep aids and hated all of them. I tried melatonin and found it only marginally helpful. My neighbor says cannabis gummies are the answer although I’m reluctant to go down that road. So again this morning, I was awake just after 3am.

Latest resources

Back