Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

So, driving straight down I40 and see toad in side mirror. Not good.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Tnedator

RVF Supporter
Apparently one of my safety pins came loose or was removed overnight. Was only driving 15 minutes to Cummins and left Jeep hooked up overnight at KOA, so must admit I didn't check Jeep this morning.

Nearly brand new Roadmaster Nighthawk is trashed. Going to look at other attachment options other blueox at this point (have blueox connection setup on my nighthawk).

Sorry to hear this, knowing self, could have been user error too not locking a clip or something. Hindsight is 20/20, no words required. Glad you and Jeep are safe and the only damage is that small plastic item. As I use a non locking pull pin on my main hitch for quick release for fire breakaway I inspect this and all every time. I've made my share of mistakes such as the electric cable dragging for a trip and killing that. Things happen.

I helped @Joe Hogan install his new Blue Ox yesterday, was impressed with the quality of the one he bought. I think it was the Avail.

I normally check all the connections at every stop (fuel, test area, etc). This was short trip from home to little Rock last night (90 miles) and then 15 minutes this morning. Just got out of my routine.

Had to not only disconnect Jeep, and fortunately wife was with me to drive, but couldn't even keep tow bar on, as bolt that locks it in stow mode sheared off. And one of the arms won't retract, so probably bent. Will be interesting if Roadmaster will repair\rebuild (for fee), since not a tow bar failure.

There was a recent recall on roadmaster. Don’t remember the details as I don’t use them. Search this forum as I think they posted it here too.

There was a recent recall on roadmaster. Don’t remember the details as I don’t use them. Search this forum as I think they posted it here too.
Just saw that when looking them up for alternate attachment point. Will check serial number and call them tomorrow.

I think I saw, might have even bought and have then tucked away someplace,a different safety pin design that latches in place rather than the way the factory blue ox works with the hoop that pops down. I now remember seeing on Amazon or trailer, but don't recall if I bought any. Clearly didn't start using them.

Mine is pre-recall. Roadmaster said their standard service is 200, but if there are major components, like a bent arm ($130), those would be in addition to the standard service/rebuild kit. I'm sending it in and then they will call me with a quote, once they inspect it.

In reading about others that have had this problem (securing clip coming out), one thing I read, and didn't know, is that the ring on the retaining pin has to be pushed down in one direction. When I got my first tow bar, the RV dealer never gave me a manual, it was just already on the back of my RV and he showed me how to hook it up.

Blue Ox says "chamfered side will be facing outwards" if installed correctly, and if it's reversed, the ring doesn't fully snap into place and can pop up and then the pin fall out with vibration.

So, having never known there was a correct side for the pin to be oriented and the ring closed, it's very possible on my lost pin, that I had the pin reversed with the "chamfered" side facing in instead of out.

Don't feel bad, I closed the ring on the pin the wrong way and almost lost my Towed. Stopped for lunch and checked setup, pin was almost completely out. I now carry extras in my tool box.

HH

I have always carried extra pins and clips, and normally check at every stop, but got lazy Tuesday night/Wed morning, not to mention not knowing that the clip had to be oriented a certain way. My wife even said "do we need to double check lights and brakes are working" in the morning before we left and I said we were only driving 15 minutes and hadn't disconnected, we should be fine. No more skipping steps for me. Lesson learned. Just glad the only damage was a towbar, and there was no car next to me that go side swiped when jeep went partially into my lane to the left.

Latest resources

Back