Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

So, driving straight down I40 and see toad in side mirror. Not good.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I have the locking style, the key is a PITA but it seems very secure

In reading about others that have had this problem (securing clip coming out), one thing I read, and didn't know, is that the ring on the retaining pin has to be pushed down in one direction. When I got my first tow bar, the RV dealer never gave me a manual, it was just already on the back of my RV and he showed me how to hook it up.

Blue Ox says "chamfered side will be facing outwards" if installed correctly, and if it's reversed, the ring doesn't fully snap into place and can pop up and then the pin fall out with vibration.

So, having never known there was a correct side for the pin to be oriented and the ring closed, it's very possible on my lost pin, that I had the pin reversed with the "chamfered" side facing in instead of out.
Good info - I always assumed that was what the flat side of the pin was for but didn’t know the other way was “wrong”, and I could easily have done it the other way from time to time without noticing.

This trip with a blue Ox is my first. Can someone post an image of the correct orientation of pin? In vs out. has ne a bit befuddled.

Last edited:
This trip with a blue Ox is my first. Can someone post an image of the correct orientation of pin? In vs outvhas ne a bit befuddled.
So this was posted on another forum, which I came across when I was searching on this issue last night.

Lynch Pin Install.JPG

Here is an image of the Pins correctly inserted on the Blue Ox
1699619726322.jpeg

Blue ox comes with plastic tags on these clips explaining this. You have to cut them off. I’m picking up a new tow bar today (hopefully) and will take a picture of this tag and share later.

Story developing as to why. Stay tuned.

Blue ox comes with plastic tags on these clips explaining this. You have to cut them off. I’m picking up a new tow bar today (hopefully) and will take a picture of this tag and share later.

Story developing as to why. Stay tuned.
Oh man, I'm a sorry excuse for an RV'er. I've seen those tags, but never looked at what was on them. Feel like a real dope now.

Oh man, I'm a sorry excuse for an RV'er. I've seen those tags, but never looked at what was on them. Feel like a real dope now.
You're sharing, others can learn from your experience. I'm sure you have or will save someone else from something going wrong. Good on you!

The only reason I know this was from helping @Joe Hogan with his blue ox setup and we had to cut these off and figure out what the heck they were telling us.

I watched a You Tube video by the RV Geeks about flat towing. They said to always put the pins from inside to outside. I started doing that and noticed the release pin was never tight so I guess it works.

I’m also really glad you brought this to everyone’s attention and you’ve probably just prevented future accidents. That isn’t dopey. I appreciate the info and will pay strict attention to this now. As I mentioned earlier I’m sure I’ve put them in the wrong way before and just got lucky.

Latest resources

Back