• Commercial/Vendors welcome

FYI Solar 101 - A General Guide to Solar in your RV or Motorhome

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
And as you may have seen, this is what my battery compartment looks like now….

Attachments

• A572CBEA-EF46-4CEE-A5B6-C73FC9BC27AE.jpeg
    A572CBEA-EF46-4CEE-A5B6-C73FC9BC27AE.jpeg
    689.7 KB · Views: 21
That's a thing of beauty. With an A/C register? And, you insulated the compartment? Wow. I had not seen this. I imagine I can search and find this and more if I look. Are your batteries 100Ah or 200?

Thanks! Here is the whole thread on my lithium battery install.

Ha. Yup. Patty is my wife.
Hey Rich--

My Ventana luckily was prepped for Solar at the factory. I found the spot on the roof, under which Neal mentioned he found the wires. In what basement compartment do those wires originate?

Thank you.

Hi!
The other end of these wires can be found in the first pass through compartment. Approx where we talked about mounting the controller. It should be coiled up on the ceiling of that compartment.

Rich

I am just beginning to install my kit received from AMSolar. I probably could have saved some dough if I'd bought everything myself but on the other hand, they will be there with any and all questions as I embark on my install. Yesterday I located the solar prep cover expecting to find an opening but there was just a red mark. So I took my multi-tool and cut an access and bingo, there they were.
Today I pulled six solar panel boxes, one at a time, onto the roof. My two battery cinch down straps came in handy and worked like a charm. Then I set out my six 200W Rich panel boxes where they'll be placed.

AmSolar sent me 90' of the UV resistant #10/2 cable so I was able to be a bit more generous on the lengths. Tomorrow I think I'll get all of my butt connectors done and heat shrinking work finished on the solar panel connectors then secure the combiner box down and finally I will mount the panels and secure the cable to the roof with the accessories they provided. I hope to do all of you mobile solar veterans proud. I did order 6 of the T-Knob sets so that I can tilt my panels if necessary.

I thank all of you for your encouragement and assistance which I know I will be needing more of soon.

Laurent Perron

Attachments

• IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0837[1310].JPG
    IMG_0837[1310].JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0838[1308].jpg
    IMG_0838[1308].jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 6
Great! I know it was an exciting (if not a bit nerve wracking) project. Keep us posted! And good luck figuring out the layout of where the panels will go. I took a picture of the roof from a drone and then laid out the few different ways to do it. I tended to put my panels on the sides to maximize the room in the middle of the roof so I didn't have to walk near the edges more than I had to.

Before
Rich's RV roof.jpg

After

solar.JPG

Great! I know it was an exciting (if not a bit nerve wracking) project. Keep us posted! And good luck figuring out the layout of where the panels will go. I took a picture of the roof from a drone and then laid out the few different ways to do it. I tended to put my panels on the sides to maximize the room in the middle of the roof so I didn't have to walk near the edges more than I had to.

Before
View attachment 18362
After

View attachment 18363
A thing of beauty. Thanks for sharing this Rich. My 3709 has only two A/C units, front and back so I can fit five about five inches apart perpendicular between the two units and number six is going parallel just behind the driver's seat. I will have to watch my spacing on the five to give the combiner box about a foot of space between two of the five. My panels are 200W each. I do have room for two more panels but will wait and see what I can run with this system.

Important tip from @Chuggs and as @Richpatty alluded is to make sure with your placement you can still walk on the roof and access each panel.

Yes thank you Neal. Originally my plan was to configure the six like Rich did which I still could do but allowing the room on both sides of the panels seems good too. I have a healthy respect for staying safely on the roof at all times.

Latest resources

Back