Chassis
Spartan K2
Engine
Cummins ISL9
TOW/TOAD
2023 GMC Sierra
Fulltimer
Yes
Since I am new to Spartan and not scheduled for “Spartan School” until September I was wondering if some more experienced could enlighten me.

I have experienced 2 active regens while driving in about 1500 miles. Previously on my 2017 Freightliner I never experienced any in 30,000 miles. So question is this normal? Secondly I have been advised not to shut down while a regen is active, what is the consequences? I had a planned fuel stop and was about 12 minutes into a regen and decided not to stop, wouldn’t you know as soon as I passed the exit, it finished. Is there a time frame that can be expected for a regen?

Thanks for the education?

Here is my understanding, correct me as you wish anyone:

1st - my FL I did see regens in the first 5 or 10K miles and after that I haven't seen one or noticed one to date. Maybe the system has to break in and burn off whatever is inside the regen equipment or the system becomes more efficient over time in cleaning itself? I don't know.

2nd - my understanding is a regen should not impact anything you do such as exiting the highway, fuel stops, etc. It will manage itself. What it is ultimately telling you is it is very hot below the regen equipment, on my coach that's left aft and not to park over brush, leaves, etc until that cools down. That's all that means and the concern a driver should have, the system will manage itself. Again, correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I know and believe I learned from Camp FL (Mike C).

My Spartan regens all the time!

In talking with @Dutch Star Don, who has a FL, it sounds like our two coaches have differences in the way the dash indicates a Regen process being active.

That said, I double checked the manuals and the only “caution” during an active regen is to not park over dried grass due to the very high exhaust temps.

If I remember correctly FL will do a “passive regen” where you get no indicator lights, speed above 45mph or something like that. I discarded all my FL training material. Spartan may give indication for all regenerations.

We have had 3-4 active regens with the 2018 MADP on a Spartan chassis. Initially, I was concerned, but I think @Neal has it exactly right. I talked to the techs at Newmar last year when we were there and that was their take too.

My only remaining concern would be that during an active regen, I wouldn't park on an asphalt surface. I don't think it will damage the coach, but it could cause the asphalt to soften and deform. Since most fuel stops that I am familiar with have concrete pads, it probably wouldn't be a problem to make a fuel stop. In fact, I did on my first active regen because I didn't any better. :oops:

TJ

Folks. Please THINK about the Regen Process when you start considering so much.

Do you REALLY think every vehicle with a DEF system has to pull over, slow down, or find a concrete pad to park on every time they go through a regen cycle? Of course not!!

Just DRIVE! My truck mechanic laughed about this subject. Every rig with DEF goes through a regen cycle often. That’s why you use 3-6% DEF FLUID. No need to change your driving when this happens.

I have the same issue and was told at the Spartan Academy not to worry about it. Big Mike at the Spartan Academy said just drive around until it goes out, it was brought up again later in the week because it seems like it always happens just before getting off the highway to the campground or fuel stop and another instructor said more of a warning not to park on tall grass due to the excess heat and it will start again if needed when you driving again. So, don't worry about shutting down with it on. I found if you are driving on the highway under 65-70 MPH use 5 gear it gets the RPM up to 1900.

I’m mostly wondering why I smell it more during a regen.

Looked and sealed air gaps around the hatch. Still smell it though.

Latest resources

Back